A new kind of kettle whirlpool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just looking at something similar but wanted to repurpose the hole in my pot where the dial thermometer was. (I don't need a dial thermometer)

I just used a 90° NPT/compression fitting and short SS tube.

The drop down length was going to be too long for me with a similar setup

Beautiful looking product though. If I had a hole higher in the pot this is what I would get. (I'm too chicken to drill holes in my pot despite watching all of your great videos on the technique.)

Installed - water batch photo. Very happy with this whirlpool arm - very low profile.

IMG_1099.jpg

How well do those trub dam's work?

I'm fairly happy with it - Friday was my first batch with this kettle (I received the new whirlpool arm Saturday, so used my old whirlpool arm for the brew day). I got a decent cone, albeit with a small hop bill. Some hops and break of course still scoot around the dam with the liquid flow.

Testing. Testing. Short version. Damn! Looks like it belongs there . . .
(throttled back so camera didn't get splashed on)

whirlpool_18.jpg

That's a really beautiful low profile setup there.
Thanks. The thermometer is new also. I had a 3" dial with a 2-1/2" stem, but the stem stuck further into the kettle and it was a pain getting my kettles neoprene insulation sleeve around the dial. This one has a short thermowell, so the thermometer slides off when I want to remove the sleeve. It's slower to react to temperature change, but plenty fast enough to keep up with my induction hob on the way up and my IC on the way down.

Between this thermometer and the Spin Cycle they'll be a lot less chance of catching the bag or hitting it with a stir spoon when I BIAB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. The thermometer is new also. I had a 3" dial with a 2-1/2" stem, but the stem stuck further into the kettle and it was a pain getting my kettles neoprene insulation sleeve around the dial. This one has a short thermowell, so the thermometer slides off when I want to remove the sleeve. It's slower to react to temperature change, but plenty fast enough to keep up with my induction hob on the way up and my IC on the way down.

Between this thermometer and the Spin Cycle they'll be a lot less chance of catching the bag or hitting it with a stir spoon when I BIAB.

Thanks for the link. That is great price on a dial thermometer. Nice and squat and stubby. Ideal for my purposes too as a BIABer.

I've ditched mine to install my whirlpool. Just used it one time. Worked really well but had I the hole higher up I would for sure have wanted this product. (The version you got.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of these as part of a big order to get my RIMS system going. When are the 2000W stainless elements going to be back in?

Bobby, I'm planning out an electric BIAB kettle build, and was wondering is this would fit in a Bayou Classic 1160 (62 qt kettle) between the basket and kettle wall, if installed below the ledge the basket sits on?

Edit: Found the answer by reading through the thread:

No, I don't think it will fit behind the basket. It sticks out from the kettle about 7/8"

Crap. Back to the drawing board.

Bobby, I'm planning out an electric BIAB kettle build, and was wondering is this would fit in a Bayou Classic 1160 (62 qt kettle) between the basket and kettle wall, if installed below the ledge the basket sits on?

Edit: Found the answer by reading through the thread:

Crap. Back to the drawing board.

You could install it below the basket. Have it cut super short and point it sideways (in the direction of the whirlpool). It would be inclined to drain when the level is above it, but so what - handle that with your valving. Tangential inputs work the same way.

I recirculate my wort through a convoluted counterflow until I have the kettle down to about 100F, then run off into my fermenter. When the whirlpool return is that low it heat stratifies like crazy. I tried different heights on my whirlpool arm before I found what worked well.

Bobby, I'm planning out an electric BIAB kettle build...

So, after a trip to Bobby's shop today, my wallet is lighter but I'm a lot closer to my 15 gallon build.

Thanks, Bobby! You're a class act and I'm damn glad your store is within driving distance.

Back