A new documentary film about brewing, HBT member

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbowenz

Reaction score
Some of you know about this film, just throwing out a small 5 minute clip which we are editing for an official "trailer".

Wanting some feedback from my HBT peers as to your interest in it, is it compelling, boring, would you watch the whole film ( 60-90 minutes ) or any other feedback is appreciated.

Short synopsis is :
I am a historic brewer, who decides to recreate an old special beer from the 1852, tells the story of the ale along the way, from the back of a motorcycle. Builds a small portable brewery, gathers a few friends and drives from ( near Philadelphia) to the edge of the arctic in Canada nearly 4000 miles, then brings the beer back home, while fermenting- to share it with some friends.

The clip isn't really finished yet, still in edits, but thought I would share it anyway.

We are on Facebook too, if you want to keep up to date on the progress:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arctic-Alchemy/197637538644

Would be glad to answer any questions about it as well.

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd watch it. From the trailer it does seem like more of a philosophical journey that just so happens to hinge on making a very special batch of beer. Seems deep and somewhat introspective. I can easily become captivated by stuff like that.

I'd watch it. From the trailer it does seem like more of a philosophical journey that just so happens to hinge on making a very special batch of beer. Seems deep and somewhat introspective. I can easily become captivated by stuff like that.

Yes, definitely different than today's TV models Discovery/History Channel stuff, it's reality, but not artificial drama. Also , my filmmakers are from Moscow, Russia, I chose them because they are different, plus they were tough girls to have spent a month on the road with me making beer, and traveling long distances. Alchemy is a philosophical journey, and also a practice of chemistry, you get it ...perfect !

Well, you're talking to a bunch of homebrewers so you're probably rigging the response a little. That aside, it's a cool concept - resurecting an old recipe, documenting the road trip - and one that likely a lot of folks here will enjoy. I'd watch the whole thing. Are you using ingredients that would be true to the original recipe? What kind of ale is it that you're brewing? Any oddball or irregular ingredients? Did you take water chemistry into account?

Sounds interesting, I would watch it. And just think, I thought I was into beer. Nice website by the way.

Well, you're talking to a bunch of homebrewers so you're probably rigging the response a little. That aside, it's a cool concept - resurecting an old recipe, documenting the road trip - and one that likely a lot of folks here will enjoy. I'd watch the whole thing. Are you using ingredients that would be true to the original recipe? What kind of ale is it that you're brewing? Any oddball or irregular ingredients? Did you take water chemistry into account?

Indeed, just looking for a peer review of sorts.

It's an old ale, abv 12% , high terminal gravity, very sweet and full bodied. I used the original recipe, but used Canadian water, and hops and yeast from the US. The beer I brewed on this trip, roughly 300 bottles worth, are all spoken for and will go to sponsors and friends.

Additionally, I brewed this beer commercially as well, and won a bronze at the GABF 2011, and a gold at the 2012 world beer championships recently, it was also featured at this years SAVOR in Washington DC. so I have had some success with the beer in advance of the film's release.

Honestly I'd be more interested in the recipe and a video of the brewing, maybe a blurb about the beers history and less background music and I'm really not interested in the traveling, camera crew, the motorcycle. Is this going to be a free youtube video?

but that's just me.

Honestly I'd be more interested in the recipe and a video of the brewing, maybe a blurb about the beers history and less background music and I'm really not interested in the traveling, camera crew, the motorcycle. Is this going to be a free youtube video?

but that's just me.

Thanks for the feedback, beer history, adventure motorcycles, and travel to exotic locations is not for everyone, and it will be probably more about all those things you are not interested in...sorry:eek:

I spend nearly 5 years researching the beer, and nearly $75,000 making this film, it will be released on DVD , making the documentary circuit at film festivals, but not likely free on Youtube.

I liked it, I liked the pace of it, I liked the videography. I would watch it, and I think many beer lovers (even BMC drinkers) would find interest in it.

I read a lot of adventure books (I have a book on the Franklin expedition and subsequent McClintock rescue behind me right now!) so I'm already interested in this sort of thing.

Very neat...you clearly have a lot of dedication and drive to undertake a project like this, and I think it's awesome! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Be sure to post a link when it becomes available.

The editing, videography, content, story are great. I just hated the music...

Indeed, the current music will be gone.

I am lucky enough to have guitar great , Steve Kimock writing the whole score for the film, the music will be a high boost to the feel . Steve was Jerry Garcia's favorite guitar player, and is a major talent.

http://www.kimock.com/

Indeed, the current music will be gone.

I am lucky enough to have guitar great , Steve Kimock writing the whole score for the film, the music will be a high boost to the feel . Steve was Jerry Garcia's favorite guitar player, and is a major talent.

http://www.kimock.com/

Well let me rephrase. I don't hate the music I just didn't feel it fit the video. It felt kind of twlight zone-esque.

What I liked about the music was that it wasn't loud, frenetic, and jarring. That seems to be the norm now, and maybe it's a girl thing, or maybe I'm just getting old. There are TV shows that I just can't watch because of the music. I especially hate music during dialog. But yeah, it was a bit doom-y.

i like the tizer, and i would watch full movie but (im trying to be helpful)...
I would try to put the trip in the first plan, i see it as a great adventure (driving/riding) for 4k miles with friends, im sure you have a lot of interesting stories from the road, it would be easier to get attention this way than getting one beer recipe on the first plan (i have an impression it would be hard to make 60min movie based on one beer recipe)
I love cameras shoots (just pro), sound is great, maybe add more info to the tizer (like you put in your post)

Although you mentioned the trailer wasn't finished I liked it. I enjoy documentaries and it looks like you have a good story to tell. I would definitely check it out.

Yeah I didn't get much from the trailer either. And to be honest the story line is a hard sell, to many moving parts. Motorcycles, beer, brewing, history. I guess my point is who is your audience?

My $.02: as per the previous posts, the music is too gloomy, but then so is the film. Is that a goal? For my own sake, when I watch a documentary, I like the human interest perspective. A teaser would normally show why doing it, some difficulties you had to overcome and then leave the viewer wanting more. Your journey seemed to be one born of passion. So I'd imagine that the passion behind it should be just that.. passionate, upbeat.. music accordingly. And not over all the speaking... some, but not all. The clip as is didn't look fun, it looked like you were downbeat. Of course there needs to be some peak/story arc where you overcome difficulties, but maybe show how exciting this really was. And if it wasn't exciting, then I guess frame it in those terms and tell the story of why you did it anyway. Again, i'm just one little piddly critic, so take this post accordingly. :) Good luck, I'll be looking forward to seeing it released in the future!

My $.02: as per the previous posts, the music is too gloomy, but then so is the film. Is that a goal? For my own sake, when I watch a documentary, I like the human interest perspective. A teaser would normally show why doing it, some difficulties you had to overcome and then leave the viewer wanting more. Your journey seemed to be one born of passion. So I'd imagine that the passion behind it should be just that.. passionate, upbeat.. music accordingly. And not over all the speaking... some, but not all. The clip as is didn't look fun, it looked like you were downbeat. Of course there needs to be some peak/story arc where you overcome difficulties, but maybe show how exciting this really was. And if it wasn't exciting, then I guess frame it in those terms and tell the story of why you did it anyway. Again, i'm just one little piddly critic, so take this post accordingly. :) Good luck, I'll be looking forward to seeing it released in the future!

Good feedback, as noted we are changing the music and editing some parts. The film is definitely about passion( my own) , not so much gloomy, except when we finally reached the destination to brew, we encountered relentless rain and extreme conditions for almost 5 straight days. This was a bit of drama, and some soul searching reflection, which paralleled the challenges of the men in the 19th century. Most of this film will be a feel-good story, but not without a few bumps in the road, my editor chose to highlight the drama, to peak an element of mystery and for the viewer to want more( I think ). Thanks for taking the time to analyze it and comment with your thoughts!

Back