A little gas leaking through the bottle caps...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javert

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm using the typical red-orange bottle capper of the lever, two-handed style. In both the first and second batches of beer, some of the bottles seems to be leaking a little gas through the caps because when handling them an audible hiss can be heard when putting the bottle close to the ear. The beer comes out well carbonated though, so I'm wondering what is the most likely cause and the best way to deal with it.

I've noted that the half circles on the capper leave two small openings on the sides where they join, so maybe the seal is particularly weak in those points. Is it intended or poor quality construction? I could try to clamp the capper over the bottles twice at a 90 ° angle to ensure the sealing is even, but I fear that the bottles could explode if the goal of it is to leave a way to relieve excessive pressure.

Provided there's no excess of priming sugar, is it safe to tighten the bottle caps any further?

It is definitely safe. But I'm not 100% sure that you'll achieve a good seal.

I would check which ones seem to have leaks and drink them fast, you could recap but depending on how long since bottling Day you may not have enough sugar left to carbonate again.

Depending on the bottle type that red handle capper seems to have a bit more trouble than my benchtop.

Of course you aren't using screw top type bottle right?

Anyway... there's a technique, you want a quick and clean motion. My buddy helped me with a dopelbock bottling session recently and I had to take over. I've never had a bottle leak after turning it over to check but he had several.

I know of this problem.

If you post a picture of a good seal, and then one that does not have a good seal, they probably have different lugs on them.

When using a hand capper (red baron, etc) it pulls against this lug, so if it's to high up, your crimping force will be limited, and the cap will not go on fully and fully seal.....

Solution, only collect the correct bottles, or get a bench capper.

search I picked up on here, ebay search cast iron capper.

I know of this problem.

If you post a picture of a good seal, and then one that does not have a good seal, they probably have different lugs on them.

When using a hand capper (red baron, etc) it pulls against this lug, so if it's to high up, your crimping force will be limited, and the cap will not go on fully and fully seal.....

Or, buy one of these. I've been having the same issues with my Red Baron wing capper. Plus, I wince every time I cap a bottle due to a few broken bottle necks. I just finished bottling a batch with my new Grifo and all I can say is WOW. Just be sure to lube the capping bell. For $45 you can't beat it. Here it is:
http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Bottle-Capper-Bench-Type-Grifo-Kit-w-CROWN-Caps-Fits-Homebrew-Beer-Bottles-Soda/390007034?goog_pla=1&gpid=76984043941&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o4&ad_type=pla&gclid=CJv0_fnikNICFU47gQod7pcNvQ

I am worried about mine too. I have 40 Bullivard's 80 acre bottles. And 10 Sam Adams the SA bottles worked fine. The 80 acre didn't have that lug. And 4 of them leaked when I tipped them over

I bottle, and I always twist the bottle 90° and then re-clamp. Don't know if I need to do this, but I've never had a leak.

I know of this problem.

Yeah, know that I have figured out how the capper actually work (I thought it were the two half circle pieces the ones doing the work! :smack:) this explains it pretty well: the lug on our bottles is unusually narrow so the push against the bottle must end being a little loose.

Now I know why those apparently too expensive bench cappers are made and sold... first time bottling I had to sanitize some extra crown caps at the moment because of some poorly fitted ones.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Uneven pressure on the capping handles or as mentioned just the wrong bottles. It doesn't take a lot of force... I am using 99% New Belgium Brewing bottles with no issues. Drinking some I bottled 6 weeks ago and none are flat!

Back