A little boost on Mr Beers Classic American Lite kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafaelpinto

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently got my hands on a Mr Beer Classic American Light kit and Im willing to make the batch a little more interesting. There's left over grains from my last all-grain batch (some pilsen malt, carared and crystal 150) and some summit hops. Also, my ale is on secondary fermentor and a lot of yeast is on the bottle.

Can I use that yeast?
Any tips on how to do this partial-mash brew?

Thanks a lot!

I only tried one modified MrB, and I messed up the hops. But I would treat the Classic American Light as light extract. So, formulate a recipe with your other ingredients, and make it as a partial mash just adding the CAL as a late extract addition. For more ideas, check the MrBeer thread on HBT, the MrBeer or BeerBorg forums. You can repitch on yeast cake. Let us know what you do, and how it works.

This Classic American Light recipe is damn strange. I brewed it and got only 1035 OG. The only thing I changed on the recipe was replacing half of the water used by all-grain wort.

So it was a partial mash. I mashed 1.5 pounds of pilsen malt + 1 pound of crystal 60 for 30 minutes (I know it is not enough for good conversion). I was only preventing myself from ending up with a 1100 OG beer: WRONG.

The all-grain wort, which ended up being like 35% of the water required by the recipe, had a 1030 OG. Then I added the extract and the other 65% of water. Well, for my surprise, the final OG was ONLY 1035.

Today, after one week of fermentation, I added reduced (boiled for 30 min) passion fruit juice (added some Galena hops during 5 minutes of boil) + the juice of two passion fruits (boiled for 5 minutes) on the keg.

Since the OG was so low, I decided to add a little sugar to it. Hope it comes out nice!
I will dry hop with summit next week.

Read my sig, 2nd link, my CAL batch tasted much better this time, than the original time I made the batch.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back