A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HB Hanahapu clone. This took my HB to a new level. Needs more spice next time, but super hardy. Morphing nicely (5weeks old).

Got a DIPA fermenting now. Hopefully, it does the same. Unclear to me why ipas are so hit/miss.

My stouts were always good and my IPAs were hit or miss (more misses) until I started paying attention to water chemistry. Not sure if that's your issue, but made a big difference for me. Turns out my water had a lot of alkalinity that worked well with dark malts but ruined most lighter beers.

My stouts were always good and my IPAs were hit or miss (more misses) until I started paying attention to water chemistry. Not sure if that's your issue, but made a big difference for me. Turns out my water had a lot of alkalinity that worked well with dark malts but ruined most lighter beers.

I always start with RO and remineralize using Brew'n Water. PH is calculated around 5.5-5.6. For the most part, primary is always nice, but after kegged for a week or so I get onion/sulfur. But I've had diacetyl...which was me being impatient. Others, craft buds have said there's nothing wrong when I'm tasting something. So who knows!

1st dipa with wort chiller now fermenting. Will co2 buckets prior to dry hops. Completely different type of dipa recipe also.

2nd Hunahapu...why not!

View attachment 1466215497417.jpg

Do you mind posting a known good ipa/dipa grain bill and water chemistry? I simply add gypsum, calcium-choride and maybe 2ml of lactic acid for most IPA/dipas.

Do you mind posting a known good ipa/dipa grain bill and water chemistry? I simply add gypsum, calcium-choride and maybe 2ml of lactic acid for most IPA/dipas.

We're our own harshest critics.

That's pretty much what I've been doing for RO water for my PAs/IPAs lately. I'm not home this weekend so I don't have access to my brew log, but my last PA was the Tired Hands Hophands clone (from HBT) with about the same additions you mentioned. Turned out awesome.

Also, I did that hunahpu clone and it was easily the best beer I ever made. Only have a couple bottles left. Will be sorry to see that end. Need to rebrew

Also, I did that hunahpu clone and it was easily the best beer I ever made. Only have a couple bottles left. Will be sorry to see that end. Need to rebrew

Same here! Got a Chocolate stout to brew for yeast cake on my next attempt. Came out a bit dryer then intended. Thinking of adding lactose instead of mashing higher temp. Spices need more time also. How long did you have spices in?

Same here! Got a Chocolate stout to brew for yeast cake on my next attempt. Came out a bit dryer then intended. Thinking of adding lactose instead of mashing higher temp. Spices need more time also. How long did you have spices in?

I strayed from the recipe when it came to the adjuncts. I added cacao nibs, vanilla, oak all soaked in Jameson. No peppers.

I strayed from the recipe when it came to the adjuncts. I added cacao nibs, vanilla, oak all soaked in Jameson. No peppers.

I've been thinking about doing something similar soon. I'd like to make a basic stout and use the cake or at least part of it for a big more complex stout afterwards. I can't seem to get enough of Prairie Bomb in particular lately.

A couple questions for you gents. Are you adding the whiskey into the brew? If so, how long are you soaking and how much liquor used?

Morning all, i wanted to make founders kbs. I was going to soak wood chips in whiskey and add both to keg. Wood chips go in big stainless ball. 1 cup whiskey and .25oz wood chips is what that recipe calls for. The one thing i really regret is not boiling down the beer to 4 gallons. At 4 gallons i would have a pretty strong stout. I'm not sure how people make strong Stouts but doing a very long boil to concentrate the wort seems like a good idea.

Morning all, i wanted to make founders kbs. I was going to soak wood chips in whiskey and add both to keg. Wood chips go in big stainless ball. 1 cup whiskey and .25oz wood chips is what that recipe calls for. The one thing i really regret is not boiling down the beer to 4 gallons. At 4 gallons i would have a pretty strong stout. I'm not sure how people make strong Stouts but doing a very long boil to concentrate the wort seems like a good idea.

I wanted to do a monster RIS my recipe would have been for a 18% stout but my recipe calculator could not account for the 2 hour boil I did and the starting gravity ended up at 1.210 it's currently at 1.038 = 22.5%. The only thing is I did 2 1/2 gallon incremental feedings both with a gravity of 1.060 in an attempt to get it to attenuate and to dilute the stout a bit. Beyond the basics I don't do math so not sure what the abv actually is at this point.

I've been thinking about doing something similar soon. I'd like to make a basic stout and use the cake or at least part of it for a big more complex stout afterwards. I can't seem to get enough of Prairie Bomb in 5gallons particular lately.

A couple questions for you gents. Are you adding the whiskey into the brew? If so, how long are you soaking and how much liquor used?

I've gone from 4 to 6oz, but still too light. I'll soak with medium oak chips, 2oz. Then just add the liquid. Usually soak 3-4 weeks prior to adding. Definitely needs experimentation for each individual tastes. Takes a few months for the flavors to mesh. I've noticed the whiskey flavor almost seems overwhelming at first, but significantly diminishes with time.

More grain, longer boils will clearly get you higher OG. It's fermenting that's tricky.

Brew a lighter stout with intended yeast. After it's ready to bottle/keg, brew the big beer and dump onto the yeast cake. Oxygenate the crap out of it between 2 buckets, if you don't have O2. Then split the batch between the 2 buckets. This gives plenty of head room. After 12hrs, re-oxygenate again. This is important, later would be harmful i'm told, 12hrs is perfect. Haven't detected issues doing this. Now ferment both buckets as usual using your temp control method. Cold crash and combine later in secondary with flavors. Done this twice to 10%ABV. That's high enough for me.

@AllenH was the dude who gave me the tips. Just passing it on brother! Another thing, I like to do double mashes to collect more wort instead of sparge. Comes out like motor oil, yum!
(Unless you have a 20 gallon tun..)

Happy fathers day everyone! I want to dump it onto the yeast cake but what about all the other gunk in there on the bottom. How do I remove the yeast without the stinky junk? I don't want to wash it or anything just get the yeast. I was going to do a parti-gyle is that the same as a double mash. This strong beer stuff is pissing me off, I'm going to have to buy a hydrometer. Golfing fox hollow today its nice. Did I tell you I shot 78 in the Tuesday Skins game. Always happy to shoot a good score when actually playing by the rules.;). Fox Hollows is a nice course but depending on the t's you can drive a lot of the greens and score pretty good.

Happy fathers day everyone! I want to dump it onto the yeast cake but what about all the other gunk in there on the bottom. How do I remove the yeast without the stinky junk? I don't want to wash it or anything just get the yeast. I was going to do a parti-gyle is that the same as a double mash. This strong beer stuff is pissing me off, I'm going to have to buy a hydrometer. Golfing fox hollow today its nice. Did I tell you I shot 78 in the Tuesday Skins game. Always happy to shoot a good score when actually playing by the rules.;). Fox Hollows is a nice course but depending on the t's you can drive a lot of the greens and score pretty good.

The only way that I know of to get rid of the gunk is to wash the yeast. If you don't want to do that you could pitch some of the yeast caked rom that fermentor into a new carboy of your wort.

^^how do I do that? That's what I figured just from one to the other right? Or can you go right in with the gunk. Seems yucky

Happy fathers day everyone! I want to dump it onto the yeast cake but what about all the other gunk in there on the bottom. How do I remove the yeast without the stinky junk? I don't want to wash it or anything just get the yeast. I was going to do a parti-gyle is that the same as a double mash.

Junk doesn't do anything that I can tell. Latest RIS is working it's way to be the best beer I've made...junk and all.

A PG is mashing grains you just mashed. Double mash is using completely fresh grains. Never made a decent PG...they're out of my rotations.

Thanks pianoman, i knew that about double mashing, just making sure everyone else was paying attention :). So I thought that's what you meant you just dump right on that trub and yeast and all. Since I put everything in the kettle in the fermenter i get a good gallon of trub. I'm going to start using 8 gallon fermenters because I'm tired of trying to get around the gallon of trub and 5 gallon batch or so and the head room of basic fermentor. So I have a couple goals this summer: make the lemonade and make the ris. I would really like to make a good IPA but the better recipes seem to have multiple hops and will make it difficult to buy in bulk.

Happy Father's Day to applicable friendlys. Grillin and chillin with a lil beer buzz. Gorgeous day out. And the red sox are winning

Happy Father's Day to all the dads! Spent the weekend swimming with the kiddos, grilling and drinking. Wife got me this card. Now just need to figure out how to make this happen...View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466381783.886920.jpg. (I do remember a while back seeing a cool video where this crew turned every water tap in this dude's house into a beer dispenser.).

For my RIS I just dumped right on a cake of 04, no washing or anything. Should've used a little yeast nutrient, finished 1.024, still it's 11%. [emoji28]

For my RIS I just dumped right on a cake of 04, no washing or anything. Should've used a little yeast nutrient, finished 1.024, still it's 11%. [emoji28]

I've made several 10% + RIS, IPA and Belgian strong ales with no change in my normal brewing routine. Pitch an appropriate amount of the right yeast in to oxygenated wort and fement at right temp and 10-12% is easy. I'm surprised how easily I got my current RIS over 20% actually.

:D
:mug:

great grand.jpg

Latest posts

Back