A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Piano what happened with your hb? Damn

Ok...dipa has issues. Think it's too much Columbus giving a rotting onion flavor. The other was an experiment using only dme. It's a clean beer, just zero hop flavor.

Doing a Saison Raspberry experiment, an all grain dipa, and "light" Hanahapu. Confident with the all grains. My sweet stout came out ultra sweet, but nice and clean, my main concern. Feel 2016 is a good hb year for me. Better chemistry and procedures are seeing improvements. These bad ones were anomalies I hope.

@pianoman lots of luck to 2016, it's funny you should mention the Columbus my friend made Three beers all questionable in my opinion he did 2 ounces at 90 2oz at 45 4oz at 15 and 3 oz at flame out. One was citra one simcoe and one Columbus and that colombus one was intense.

Next time I brew that beer, will be substituting Columbus with Falconers Flight. This dipa is bittered with Centennial and rest is 50% simcoe, 25% Citra and 25% mosaic. A known good recipe.

Attachments

• squirrel.jpeg
    squirrel.jpeg
    4 KB · Views: 66
Hi stranger! Just talking about you. Still brewing??

All the time. I ran out of fermenters so I have to focus on packaging beer for the next month or so. I brewed a project beer last weekend though a RIS with an original gravity of 1.210. I boiled 9 gallons down to 6 over 2 1/2 hours oxygenated with pure o2 for several minutes then pitched 3 rehydrated packets of S-05 which have been going crazy for a week. Tomorrow I'm pitching a huge starter of White Labs Super High Gravity Yeast to hopefully ferment it out beyond what S05 is capable of. If it finishes at 1.030 it will be north of 23% abv according to Brewers Friend abv calculator.

All the time. I ran out of fermenters so I have to focus on packaging beer for the next month or so. I brewed a project beer last weekend though a RIS with an original gravity of 1.210. I boiled 9 gallons down to 6 over 2 1/2 hours oxygenated with pure o2 for several minutes then pitched 3 rehydrated packets of S-05 which have been going crazy for a week. Tomorrow I'm pitching a huge starter of White Labs Super High Gravity Yeast to hopefully ferment it out beyond what S05 is capable of. If it finishes at 1.030 it will be north of 23% abv according to Brewers Friend abv calculator.

Do you have to re-oxygenate prior to pitching the starter?

Do you have to re-oxygenate prior to pitching the starter?

I added yeast nutrients to the stsrter and plan to oxygenate it. I have never attempted anything beyond 10% so it'll be interesting to see if it ferments low enough to not be way overly sweet.

How big was the grain bill for a 20% beer? Use a lot of sugar or DME?

I have a 15 gallon mash tun but I still had to use 3 lbs of dark dme and 1 pound of sugar. In hindsige I wish had skipped the sugar addition because I ended up over shooting the og. I was aiming for a beer a little south of 20%. I found out that the recipe calculator has no ability to account for that long boil.

Well it did it. It's snowing it's been snowing almost 2 days I think but it's not sticking and if it doesn't I'm hitting the links tomorrow I don't care

Latest posts

Back