A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the water tower on the horizon in that shot. So quintessentially Texan

Lol! Indeed. Your pics from out in the yard always look like we could be in the same neighborhood. Of course, you could probably say that of just about any suburb in N. Tx...

qotd: i'll go hipster and go with cascade or citra. or both. i'm mainly just into some citrusy, however I can get it. Only lately have I been ok with a little more dankinees and/or spicy/piney/woodsy to go along with that.

I feel a lot of people don't like to overload on the fruit without something to complement it. Not me, give me citrus and tropical fruits on top of more citrus and tropical fruits. all day. in all pale ales and IPAs. all the time. ok, now i'm down with a small amount of some pineyness to go in the background. but not too much.

I feel a lot of people don't like to overload on the fruit without something to complement it. Not me, give me citrus and tropical fruits on top of more citrus and tropical fruits. all day. in all pale ales and IPAs. all the time. ok, now i'm down with a small amount of some pineyness to go in the background. but not too much.

Exact opposite here. Not usually real big on the tropical and citrus flavors in beer. Bring on the pine though.

Every now and then I'll come across a fruity IPA that is damned good, but most of the time I just feel like I'm drinking grapefruit juice.

Exact opposite here. Not usually real big on the tropical and citrus flavors in beer. Bring on the pine though.

Every now and then I'll come across a fruity IPA that is damned good, but most of the time I just feel like I'm drinking grapefruit juice.

Have much experience with east coast style IPA?

QOTD: Amarillo and Simcoe. Most of the other popular IPA hops, mostly citra I think, are straight kitty litter to me. Buddy had an IPA score a 46 at a big comp and I couldn't finish a pint. Tasted just like someone put a scoop of litter box in the glass.

q0td: I love EKG/Fuggles for a pale ale. The spicy-floral and woodsy-earthy go real nice together for me.

Ive got an ESB lined up with some fuggles and ekg. You do one over the other for flavor or flameout?

Ive got a hefty stash of hallertau blanc on hand. I feel like its one of those hops that hasnt caught on too much and Im glad. Its like a more bright and clean version of nelson sauvin to me. With none of the resiny dankness you can sometimes get from nelson. It does pair well with nelson and other fruity new world hops. Its currently like half the price of nelson too.

QOTD: Columbus/Simcoe/Centennial, Galaxy/Simcoe, Amarillo/Citra

Columbus for my favorite non hipster hop, except for dry hop. Turns into French onion soup.

I also don't like too many super tropical IPAs. I'd rater just drink a glass of orange juice.

This is alright if you like a super awesome beer. Much better then DFH120, which I could have gotten 6 yesterday. Was presented with a craft beer gem. Little minimart in north Austin.

QOTD: Columbus/Simcoe/Centennial, Galaxy/Simcoe, Amarillo/Citra

Columbus for my favorite non hipster hop, except for dry hop. Turns into French onion soup.

I also don't like too many super tropical IPAs. I'd rater just drink a glass of orange juice.

Maybe hipster culture has changed since college, where I was forced into contact with it, but wouldnt Columbus be the hipster hop in this situation?

How is that? I saw it passing through a town the other day

edit: nvm...didnt PKU and scroll up

Believe the hype. It's a 11.5% Triple IPA. Know it's not your style. Couldn't resist myself..

Edit: nvm...now that I know what nvm means. I'm still not used to this hippy dippy talk. 😀

Believe the hype. It's a 11.5% Triple IPA. Know it's not your style. Couldn't resist myself..

Edit: nvm...now that I know what nvm means. I'm still not used to this hippy dippy talk. ��

I'll give it a try. Most commercial IPAs that get past 9% are too sweet in the finish for me, but Lagunitas is never too expensive. I like Hopslam, SixPoint's Hi-Res, Three Floyd's occasional ones, so I guess we'll see. Oh, and Stone's Enjoy By, but couldnt stand their RuinTEN anniversary one

Out sick today, streamed The Force Awakens since I still hadn't watched it, and now on my like 6th high gravity bomber of the afternoon while watching Arsenal/West Brom. Of course I can't breath nor taste/smell a damned thing with this actual stupid illness but it is what it is.

QOTD: Centennial and Cascade - mainly because they are what i have growing in my back yard. Neighbor usually gives me some Nugget of his plants, so 75% of my beers have those 3 in them.

If my Chinook doesn't produce more than a handful of cones this year (3rd year plant) it's getting replaced with something else..

Out sick today, streamed The Force Awakens since I still hadn't watched it, and now on my like 6th high gravity bomber of the afternoon while watching Arsenal/West Brom. Of course I can't breath nor taste/smell a damned thing with this actual stupid illness but it is what it is.

1st off, hope you didn't pay for the stream. 2nd hope all the alcohol kills any bad bacteria! 😉

Ive got an ESB lined up with some fuggles and ekg. You do one over the other for flavor or flameout?

Ive got a hefty stash of hallertau blanc on hand. I feel like its one of those hops that hasnt caught on too much and Im glad. Its like a more bright and clean version of nelson sauvin to me. With none of the resiny dankness you can sometimes get from nelson. It does pair well with nelson and other fruity new world hops. Its currently like half the price of nelson too.

I didn't enjoy hallertau blanc on its own. mixed with cascade or citra it was great. alone it was a florally mess. I haven't tried NS alone yet though, so I suppose it's a bit hard to compare the two. I've done a citra/amarillo/NS that was one of my favorite combos.

Yeppers. Got some with your name on it P. Just need to get the finger out and bottle a sixer this weekend.

Could I make that with Kolsch yeast and get something similar?

I don't know if you could. I couldn't.
In my limited experience Kolsch yeast like WLP029 makes things taste like a Kolsch. Not unpleasant but not like a lager to me.

Whiskey will cure what ales 'ya.

Back