A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, looks like I get a couple unplanned brew days. Torrential downpours this morning fried my computer ("toughbook" my arse). Shipped off to the IT office, won't have it back until next week. So looks like tomorrow and Monday I'm burning up accrued sick time instead of working. Finally get to catch up on brewing.

I haven't PKUed, busy time of year for me, I'll need to read later as to what's the flock is going on unless some one would like to synopsize.
Ain't going nowhere, I may check out the move but I like it here.

I don't know what that is. I'd insert a cat gift saying wut but on my mobile that would take to long.

Just imagine one here. Or the cow one. Yeah the cow one

Bit late on response...buttt..

Landing has never been the issue. Traveling to Mars has never been the issue. Space is the issue. Outside Earths magnetic field, astronauts are subjected to deadly amounts of solar radiation and cosmic rays. Mars itself has a tiny atmosphere and almost non-existent magnetic field. So no help there with radiation. It's a deadly adventure just to travel/stay there.

Also, regardless what tv says, there's no way to produce enough breathable air much less create rocket fuel from the Martian atmosphere as it's 1/150th of Earths pressure. Even then, the composition is not condusive for either one.

Huge amount of supplies have to be sent first. But because of the position of the Earth relative to Mars in their orbits around the sun, there's only small windows to perform launches.

Earth is traveling about 67,000mph around the sun. Mars around 53,000mph. So when launching, you have to perfectly time the intersection because there's no way to catch up if a miss occurs. It's more an issue with coming back as the Earth is much faster. It's an amazing feat in science we can even do what we do now with planetary explorers.

Oh, to answer your question..No.

Ok, back to beer...

It helps that they discovered water on mars....how much will be key. Separating the oxygen and hydrogen has a two pronged affect...breathable air and hydrogen as a fuel source. I do agree that materials will have to be sent, well in advance for that matter. Agreed that it's all a moot point if we can't survive the actual trip. Time and technology :D

Here are mine for anyone who is interested.

We had and still have a pretty fun thread chat room or whatever you want to call it.

Unlike other private chat rooms it is formed by a group who actually want to chat and have a laugh together.

So interactions are generally positive and upbeat. I like the mood here. I also like that all topics from idiotic to interesting are covered and not sneered at.

It is a friendly thread. That friendliness should and in my view, must extend to mods who so graciously and thanklessly give of their time to police this site.

I don't view arguing with the cops and then wondering why they are being hard on you as a smart move in life. Same applies here.

Why folks feel the need to sabotage this chat area is beyond me. I know many don't frequent other parts of the forum. I do and plan on continuing to benefit from and try to contribute to HBT. I hold this site in high esteem.

This chat thread is one room in a giant building. Like it or not you gotta conform to the landlords rules. This is not hard as is proven by 30000k plus posts of conformism.

I can't stop y'all from chatting elsewhere. I enjoy the virtual company in breaks from work. It is something I will miss. I see no valid for throwing our toys from the pram in this way.

I'm sure many will disagree with me and if I lose some friends as a result, so be it.

If y'all stick around I look forward to continued chat. If not I'll be very sorry to no longer enjoy your fun.

So do I.

TLdr Lets not be idiots. Friendly. Google homebrewchatter if you are looking for precedent.

Nicely worded. Im not going anywhere but wont be nearly as active anymore because what happen. Ill talk to ya in this thread.

When the police pull you over and give you a ticket. You don't have to agree with them. Behaving in a manner likely to provoke their ire is not wise though.

I'm a member not a mod.

If you disagree with a mod PM Txbrew and outline why you disagree. I know this because a mod who is now admin has typed this many times. I've read it.

Move on all of us. Let's continue to enjoy HBT.

As I said before I don't expect all to agree with me but I do expect all members to follow the club rules. Not being an arsehead toward mods is a rule we are all very aware of.

Seriously google Homebrewchatter

It is stupidly similar in its inception.

In my earlier post I meant to type that friendliness should extend toward mods not to. I hope my meaning was nonetheless clear.

As I am probably breaking the rule by discussing moderating I'll try to make this my last post on the matter. If anyone is still here to read it that is.

Just taking my jet ski for a spin

View attachment 349399

Everything you've said is pretty close to my thoughts as well, minus the jet ski part.

Picked the wrong day to check a bag with beer in it. Flight canceled, rerouted with a connection now. there's still a decent chance I'll make it home tonight. Not so sure about my bag tho.

Everything you've said is pretty close to my thoughts as well, minus the jet ski part.

Picked the wrong day to check a bag with beer in it. Flight canceled, rerouted with a connection now. there's still a decent chance I'll make it home tonight. Not so sure about my bag tho.

Bah. TSA will make sure your bag gets.... Handled.

Bier.

View attachment 1460071298529.jpg

It helps that they discovered water on mars....how much will be key. Separating the oxygen and hydrogen has a two pronged affect...breathable air and hydrogen as a fuel source. I do agree that materials will have to be sent, well in advance for that matter. Agreed that it's all a moot point if we can't survive the actual trip. Time and technology :D

Yes, it helps for drinking. A human being consumes about 19 cubic feet of just oxygen (388 cubic feet of air) every day. Creating a machine to convert H20 to H2 + O2 takes a tremendous amount of energy, more then just a few solar panels. And that's just O2. To pressurize a living space to acceptable pressure levels, say 1/2 atmosphere, we need inert AKA nitrogen, gasses which just are not present on Mars.

Mostly I'm just doing science babble to give GC a run as the top Science Guy! :)

Yes, it helps for drinking. A human being consumes about 19 cubic feet of just oxygen (388 cubic feet of air) every day. Creating a machine to convert H20 to H2 + O2 takes a tremendous amount of energy, more then just a few solar panels. And that's just O2. To pressurize a living space to acceptable pressure levels, say 1/2 atmosphere, we need inert AKA nitrogen, gasses which just are not present on Mars.

Mostly I'm just doing science babble to give GC a run as the top Science Guy! :)

Try as hard as you might, you'll never surpass him. Well maybe for now that he's on vacation in moose-land, but once he gets back, you better cover your æss. Cause he's gonna science the shøt out of you.

This is good stuff. I didn't know any of that
About the 19 cubic feet part.

This is good stuff. I didn't know any of that
About the 19 cubic feet part.

We all love math right! Can I get an AMEN?! So....

O2 is about 21% of air. The average person breaths 388 cubic feet, so 21% of 388 is around 81. But we exhale about 80% of it hence the 19 cubic feet. Air is mostly nitrogen which is inert in our bodies.

If we lived on a planet that was 79% neon, argon, helium or SF6 (the gas used in power line transformers to keep from sparking), it would be fine also albeit we'd have a very different tone to our voices.

Edit:
Writer forgot how to do 5th grade math...

Are you still mad at me? Or can I show you what I'm drinking right now?

View attachment 349418

Oh, I am in a state of beer bliss.

Nice ca... Nope. not going to say it. Behaving myself here. That was one hyped beer that I really enjoyed. Don't think its worth the $8/can that it costs though.

So bored tonight. Wanna go home and drink beer. Found a 120 from this fall that I am going to kill as a post work, pre bed beer.

We all love math right! Can I get an AMEN?! So....

O2 is about 21% of air. The average person breaths 388 cubic feet, so 21% of 388 is around 81. But we exhale about 80% of it hence the 19 cubic feet. Air is mostly nitrogen which is inert in our bodies.

If we lived on a planet that was 79% neon, argon, helium or SF6 (the gas used in power line transformers to keep from sparking), it would be fine also albeit we'd have a very different tone to our voices.

Edit:
Writer forgot how to do 5th grade math...

I have determined that your science is just.

Back