A first shot at yeast washing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landis

Reaction score
I'll be bottling up my Sierra Nevada pale ale clone tonight that I had dry hopped with 1 oz of Cascade hop pellets.

Would the dry hopping and hop residue have any ill effect on reusing this yeast? I checked out the post on Yeast Washing, and I'm sure that I can handle that. I wasn't sure if the washing procedure would help remove the spent hops.

And if I do salvage this yeast would it be recommended to brew the same type of beer over it next time?

And very last question (a gardening one this time). If this yeast isn't salvageable is that something that can be added to a compost pile? I usually just throw my brewing grains/hops and garden waste in there. Never thought about using the yeast.

From what I've read in other posts:
Dry hopping is usually done in the secondary.
All the CO2 released during primary fermentation can
carry away the hop aroma.

Yeast is usually harvested from the primary.
The yeast in the secondary is less flocculant,
so beer made from it won't clear as fast.

The next beer should be similar or darker/maltier.

Keep your dogs away from the spent hops.

I don't think yeast would be good for compost.
It might interfere with the microbes that are digesting
the organic matter.

Ah sorry that I left out some details. I don't have a secondary, so I just left the brew in the primary for three weeks. After the main fermentation was done I added the hops. I read a number of posts on here that recommended doing everything in the primary and not worrying about using a secondary.

So thats why there will be some hop residue with the yeast.

Oh, and my compost pile is kept outside the fence where the dogs don't go. I suppose a stray may get into it, but they shouldn't be on my yard anyway.

If you wash the yeast properly all the hop material will be removed.

Just to follow up on something landis said, if you want to repitch on the existing yeast cake, then yes, you need to brew the same or a darker beer. If, however, you are washing your yeast, then you can use it in any style you want since you have washed it and all that is left is the yeast. I typically manage to get 2 vials of clean yeast every time I brew.

I should just add that adding yeast to a compost would only add to the "floral bouquet" that breaks material down to soil. Just don't overload the compost and I can't see how it could cause a problem.

I bottled the beer and washed the yeast last night. I followed the steps in the illustrated yeast washing tutorial, and now they are resting in my refrigerator.

It looks nice and clean with none of the greenish hop debris that was originally in the trub. If this SNPA clone turns out well I'll probably brew it again (or make some adjustments) either way I'll have some yeast to use.

Back