A few questions about bottling and priming.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeretheBrews

Reaction score
I racked into secondary last night. Going to give 2 weeks. Then when I rack into bottling bucket... I pour the 3/4 corn sugar in... Then rack the beer. Then stir?

Also how will I know/avoid bursting bottles?

You will want to boil that priming sugar in a little bit of water to sanitize it. Then cool it down, add it to the bottom of your bottling bucket. Rack your beer on top of it and give it a good stir with a sanitized spoon (don't aerate it, though). Then, bottle.

First boil the corn sugar in a pint or so of water for 10 minutes, then cool it a bit, then put it in the bottling bucket and then rack the beer onto it and then bottle n it...You want to boil the sugar so as to kill any microbes chillin out in there.

As long as you give the beer enough time to ferment out completley you wont get bottle bombs. generally 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary should suffice for most normal gravity i.e. not super strong, beers.

after bottling just keep the bottles at around about 70 degrees for 2 weeks or so, then stick em in the fridge, or at least keep em cool and dark untill you drink em.

You dont even need to stir the beer if you put the solution of primming sugar and water in the bottling bucket first. When you rack it to the bottling bucket the siphoning of the beer will be enough to "stir" the primming solution throughout the beer.

Beer Snob said:
You dont even need to stir the beer if you put the solution of primming sugar and water in the bottling bucket first. When you rack it to the bottling bucket the siphoning of the beer will be enough to "stir" the primming solution throughout the beer.
That's the popular theory, but notice that just about everybody in this thread recommends gentle stirring. I add my priming solution first, then as I rack into the bottling bucket I gently stir as well. That helps assure a much better, even and consisten mix of the solution into the beer.

bikebryan said:
That's the popular theory, but notice that just about everybody in this thread recommends gentle stirring. I add my priming solution first, then as I rack into the bottling bucket I gently stir as well. That helps assure a much better, even and consisten mix of the solution into the beer.
We all do it a little bit differently, but we're all going the same place. That's normal.:D

bikebryan said:

My last bottling was the AG Wheat (my first) and in another thread I had mentioned that every bloody thing that could go wrong has happened so far with this one. I forgot the add the solution in the bucket and remembered just before I started to bottle. So I added it and gently stired. Hey... as long as its in there you know:)

...as for the bottle granades, as long as your beer has fermented out to the range for the style you should have no problems.

I have beers that have NEVER been in the fridge (to stop the carbonation process) that are about 1 year old. They are carbonated nicely. I just never placed them in the fridge. None of them are over carbonated.:D

Grenades usually happen when you bottle early when fermention is not complete and you add more sugar to the equation...BOOM!:(

Beer Snob said:

I like to kind of curl the hose around the bottom so you get a natural swirling action which does a good job of mixing. Never stirred, never had differences in carbonation.

Back