A few opinions, please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowninja

Reaction score
I've got a gallon of Apple Wine, and nearly a gallon of cinammon wine i started back in january. My goal was to create a holiday wine from the two, to give to friends and family this Christmas.

I made a sample this evening, about 10 ounces of apple and 2 ounces of cinammon. It tasted good, but needed more cinammon taste. I think i've decided on my ratio as 3:1, but I'd love to hear opinions on this.

The other thing; I haven't done any sweetening to either wine yet. most of the family likes their wine semi-sweet (circa 1.010). My uncle, I know would appreciate a completely dry wine. I figured i'd bottle one bottle dry for him, and sweeten the rest.

Heres my dillemma, how should I go about doing this? Should I sweeten the two wines seperately, then mix? Should I mix them, then sweeten? Should I only sweeten the apple wine? If so, should I sweeten with sugar or apple concentrate?

This is where I'm stuck. I'm in my first year of wine making so I have very little experience here, and this is my first apple wine. I want it to come out as good as possible, so i'd love to hear some opinions.

:mug:

I'd blend, bottle the one dry, then stabilize & backsweeten the rest, then bottle. Just be sure to label the dry differently from the rest.
Regards, GF.

ninja just wondering how did your apple wine turn out, ive been thinking about doing one, I do have a recipe for one but its says to use white sugar....do you ferment with only brown sugar or both??

I fermented with white sugar. It tastes pretty good dry, and it's only 6 months old. All the "bite" is gone.

I'll try backsweetening with brown sugar. Thanks everybody. I'll let you know how it turns out

Back