A couple of mash questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobBailey

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

For the most part, I brew Pale Ales and IPAs. This is my second year of all grain and my first year kegging. I've done just about everything I have read about to produce crisp and clean beers with the exception of water chemistry. My beers have improved greatly, but they just aren't as crisp and clean as I would like them to be.

I just picked up some PH strips and am planning on sending a water sample to Ward Labs for analysis. Thus, my 2 questions.

1. At what point in the mash do you check PH? I'm thinking after about 10 minutes when I recheck temperature.

2. What kind of container do you send your sample to Wards in?

Any input appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

I emailed Ward's Labs, and they sent me a jar to use.

I have pH strips and be aware that they aren't really all that accurate. I still don't have a meter, though, and that's on my Christmas/birthday/Mother's Day list.

I would second what Yooper said regarding the strips.

I would also highly recommend venturing over to the Brew Science forum and download the EZ Water Calculator by TH. Or, just download the link in my signature below which has that and a lot more to help you with all grain batch sparge brewing. I have ajdelange's water profile recommendations within the spreadsheet as well which are really easy to follow and make a big difference in producing better beers which it sounds like you are after. Once I started paying attention to water profiles my beers took a nice step forward.

Any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

cp

you can request a container from ward or you can send it in ab emptied and well cleaned out water bottle which will be a little quicker

their website has info on how to prepare your sample

Back