A bottling question..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Realidad

Reaction score
Well im new to HBT and indeed new to Home Brewing. I've made two batches already, one was Standard Lager and the other was a Canadian Blonde. Both are sitting in the secondary stage right now and im going to give them a bit of conditioning to make for better beers.

Today, I made my first Wheat beer.

The ingrediants I used were as follows:

1.7kg can Coopers Wheat beer.
1kg of light spray malt
300g of Dextrose (for carbonation as I was told by a few guys around here)

Simple enough I know but I just want to do things the easy way first.

My coopers brewing kit is the New type without the actual airlock

images

The instructions tell me to bottle the brew after a week (or when the Specific gravity is constant after two days). My question is, is this okay for Wheat beer or would I be better off leaving it in the primary for longer than this? Will it take long to condition in its bottle and also would like to know if any one here has used this particular coopers wheat before?

You probably could bottle it after that amount of time, but it wouldn't hurt to let it sit for a little longer. With a lower gravity beer like that it will likely ferment fairly quick depending on your temps, but I would rather wait just to make sure it's done. That is unless you want to take gravity readings more often(which if you're not careful can cause infection). Leaving it in for even a month isn't going to result in any off flavors to worry about.

You probably could bottle it after that amount of time, but it wouldn't hurt to let it sit for a little longer. With a lower gravity beer like that it will likely ferment fairly quick depending on your temps, but I would rather wait just to make sure it's done. That is unless you want to take gravity readings more often(which if you're not careful can cause infection). Leaving it in for even a month isn't going to result in any off flavors to worry about.

Thanks man.

Nah, I wouldn't say there is much risk in infection with my hydrometer. I simply fill up its cylinder from the spout, put in my hydrometer float and disgard the sample. Its not the floating kind that actually sits on top of the brew.

Its good to hear that it wont be any harm to let it sit a couple of days longer than a week as I need to order more bottles!

Oh yes, btw my original SPG was 1.043.

My first was the cooper's OS lager with brewing sugar. It was done,stable FG & slightly misty in 12 days with an OG of 1.048. So 2 weeks is fair to wait to take an FG sample. I just use the tube the hydrometer came in. When the readings are the same 2 days apart,you're good to go.

My first was the cooper's OS lager with brewing sugar. It was done,stable FG & slightly misty in 12 days with an OG of 1.048. So 2 weeks is fair to wait to take an FG sample. I just use the tube the hydrometer came in. When the readings are the same 2 days apart,you're good to go.

How did it taste for you?

It had a pleasent light maltiness with a color of straw gold with a slight amber blush. 3 weeks in the bottle was decent,4 weeks def better with 5 days fridge time at that point. I now let them sit 1-2 weeks in the fridge for thicker head & longer lasting carbonation. Def tastes better with the 2 weeks fridge time due to longer lasting good carbonation providing better balance. But some finishing hops are def going to be a good addition with this one.

Back