95% efficiency question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintandhisbeer

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian blonde ale (lost abbey - devotion clone) yesterday and my brewers efficiency was at 95%! (1.082 og) At first I thought it was pretty awesome but after doing some research I've read that a real high brewers efficiency will cause ur beer to be watery. Is this true?? If so can I add maltodextrin to primary so its not so watery?? Since it is supposed to be a dry crisp beer would the malto just eliminate the wateryness and had more body than the style calls for??? Just don't wanna get rid of one problem just to cause another

Is that your mash efficiency or the total brewhouse efficiency? I routinely get in the mid to upper 80's and my beers don't taste watery or thin. In fact my honey amber was 89.7% efficiency and is full of flavor and mouthfeel.

yes you can but be careful too much will add foam if you have your beer on tap, I always added caripils to my recipes just for making a fuller body and head retention

just a note a low ending gravity is the reason they say that, so on the hydrometer water is 0 and the closer you get to 0 the more watery the beer will seem

so if you start with 1075 and end up with 1008 you have a tun of alcohol but a thin tasting beer

nothing to worry about unless you are fly sparging and the additional efficiency is made up of runnings under 1.015. When the grain bed has less sugar around it coupled with hot sparge water tannins can be extracted as this has the potential of causing a ph shift.

nothing to worry about if you are batch sparging.

Is that your mash efficiency or the total brewhouse efficiency? I routinely get in the mid to upper 80's and my beers don't taste watery or thin. In fact my honey amber was 89.7% efficiency and is full of flavor and mouthfeel.

95% was my brewers efficiency

nothing to worry about unless you are fly sparging and the additional efficiency is made up of runnings under 1.015. When the grain bed has less sugar around it coupled with hot sparge water tannins can be extracted as this has the potential of causing a ph shift.

nothing to worry about if you are batch sparging.

I was referring to brewers efficiency buddy.. og calculated with the grain bill and amount of wort

yes you can but be careful too much will add foam if you have your beer on tap, I always added caripils to my recipes just for making a fuller body and head retention

just a note a low ending gravity is the reason they say that, so on the hydrometer water is 0 and the closer you get to 0 the more watery the beer will seem

so if you start with 1075 and end up with 1008 you have a tun of alcohol but a thin tasting beer

Cool deal man. The recipe I used on this brew had 8oz of carapils so that might help.. the beer should have a low ending gravity, I'm wanting it to drop to about 1.07.. the thing I'm wondering is why I keep hearing the word watery and not the word dry... I hope for the dry beer just not the watery reference lol

Cool deal man. The recipe I used on this brew had 8oz of carapils so that might help.. the beer should have a low ending gravity, I'm wanting it to drop to about 1.07.. the thing I'm wondering is why I keep hearing the word watery and not the word dry... I hope for the dry beer just not the watery reference lol

Watery or thin are subjective and usually refer to the mouthfeel of your beer. If you used Carapils, then that should not be an issue.

Latest posts

Back