95% Efficiency, Need Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighandsray

Reaction score
First batch with the new Barley Crusher. Was hoping for around 75% (since my corona mill had me stuck in the 60%'s). I was trying to make a Pale Ale that had to become a late hop IPA. Not that this is a bad thing but I need to be less efficient. Is it simply a matter of adjusting the gap setting? I was hoping that the factory setting would suffice. I mash in a rectangular cooler with a stainless "T" braid and hybrid sparge. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks.

19 lbs pale malt
2 lbs Munich
1 lbs Caramunich
1 lbs Victory
.5 lbs White Wheat

This is for 13 gal batch, looking to get 5.5 gal in 2 fermenters.

My target SG was 1.051 turned out to be 1.068

By finishing volume do you mean post boil or the amount I was able to get into the fermenters? Post boil was close to 11.5 gal I would say. Looked like I lost about a gallon to the hops and cold break.

I would use Kaiser's Efficiency Calculator. Break it up into 'Conversion' efficiency and 'Lauter/sparge' efficiency. Getting up near 100% conversion efficiency is good and desirable. But getting a great lauter/sparge efficiency could indicate over-sparging. If you got a good flow through your grain bed then I wouldn't widen the BC gap. Instead I would look to reduce your lauter/sparge efficiency by just sparging less.

19 lbs pale malt
2 lbs Munich
1 lbs Caramunich
1 lbs Victory
.5 lbs White Wheat

This is for 13 gal batch, looking to get 5.5 gal in 2 fermenters.

My target SG was 1.051 turned out to be 1.068

1.068 for 11 gallons (how much exactly did you end up with?) is about 88%, so that's pretty high but not 95%! If you ended up with 10 gallons, it's about 80%.

You do have some kettle losses, it sounds like.

1.068 for 11 gallons (how much exactly did you end up with?) is about 88%, so that's pretty high but not 95%! If you ended up with 10 gallons, it's about 80%.

You do have some kettle losses, it sounds like.

My measurements are not 100% accurate but I was able to get 5gal in 2 fermenters with atleast one gallon lost to hops and the kettle. So I am fairly certain that the volume at the end of the boil was 11+ gal. Beertools was showing me the 95% efficiency. So even if my efficiency was 88% I still need help in scaling back to atleast 80% right?

My measurements are not 100% accurate but I was able to get 5gal in 2 fermenters with atleast one gallon lost to hops and the kettle. So I am fairly certain that the volume at the end of the boil was 11+ gal. Beertools was showing me the 95% efficiency. So even if my efficiency was 88% I still need help in scaling back to atleast 80% right?

I don't get it- you ended up with 10 gallons, right? That's your volume.

Anyway, why scale back? If you got too high of an OG, you can add water. Or use a bit less grain next time. I'm not sure I see the problem here. (But I'm a bit slow, I confess!)

I would use Kaiser's Efficiency Calculator. Break it up into 'Conversion' efficiency and 'Lauter/sparge' efficiency. Getting up near 100% conversion efficiency is good and desirable. But getting a great lauter/sparge efficiency could indicate over-sparging. If you got a good flow through your grain bed then I wouldn't widen the BC gap. Instead I would look to reduce your lauter/sparge efficiency by just sparging less.

The flow was great! By sparging less won't I still be extracting higher gravity wort as the first runnings are of a higher concentration?
Beertools was suggesting sparging with 12 gallons. I knew this was too much and used more like 10 gallons. I will try Kaiser's spreadsheet later.

BTW I was mashing at 150F. Was going for 151-152F. Water to grist ratio was approx 1lb/1.25qt

Thanks for your help everyone.

I don't get it- you ended up with 10 gallons, right? That's your volume.

Anyway, why scale back? If you got too high of an OG, you can add water. Or use a bit less grain next time. I'm not sure I see the problem here. (But I'm a bit slow, I confess!)

If there is 10 gallons that makes it into the fermenters and still 1 gallon left in the kettle don't I still need to account for that volume lost in the kettle?

I am of the understanding that you should be shooting for efficiencies in the range of 75%-80%. Thought it had something to do with tannins or other off flavors being extracted?

Kaiser's Troubleshooting Efficiency and the spreadsheet (linked in the article) should answer your questions.

FWIW, I do account for wort left behind in the kettle. I shoot for exactly 1 qt left behind, 1 cup of which will be used in the Fast Ferment Test, another cup or so for the hydro sample. Another ~2 cups as a fudge factor. Any unused wort (plus the hydro sample) gets saved for yeast starters.

Think of an extreme: Making 20 gallons of wort but only putting 1 gallon in a jug to ferment. Basing your efficiency on just that one gallon for all the grain you used wouldn't make much sense. Instead it would make more sense to use all the 'available wort' in your calculation, like you're doing. But everybody does this differently and we all seem to get it to work our own way.:)

There's no reason that I know of to try to reduce your efficiency. The key is consistency. I would be concerned I couldn't reproduce 95% efficiency every time. Then it gets to be hard to design recipes, not knowing if your gravity might end up +/- 5 points.

I would recommend changing nothing in your process, and just plan for 90% efficiency next time, and see how it comes out. If you get a high efficiency again, then maybe you're onto something. If not, try to figure out how to get a more consistent efficiency.

There's no reason that I know of to try to reduce your efficiency.
Improved wort quality. Each system/process has it's limitations and sometimes pushing the efficiency can lead to lower quality beer. The 'efficiency-that-shouldn't-be-exceeded' is different for each system/process.

Totally agree on the consistency part.

If there is 10 gallons that makes it into the fermenters and still 1 gallon left in the kettle don't I still need to account for that volume lost in the kettle?

I am of the understanding that you should be shooting for efficiencies in the range of 75%-80%. Thought it had something to do with tannins or other off flavors being extracted?

Your software is likely doing that for you. You can adjust the amount in the setup tools. If you are plugging in 11 gallons instead of 10 as your finished volume, you may be double counting. Either way, I seriously doubt anyone (outside of commercial breweries) who claim efficiencies in the mid nineties.

Back