87.8% atten.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay1

Reaction score
I just racked an extract brew with an OG of 1.082 and FG of 1.017 (corrected for temperature). I'm using Wyeast 1056 which is supposed to be 73-77%. The room that my carboy sits is a steady 63F. I used 10lbs of LME and 1.5lbs of Crystal. I did make a 1.5L plain starter (no stir or O2). I pitched the starter at high krausen and had action within 8hrs.

Is this possible? I'm thinking maybe a I got a false reading, however this beer (right out of the hydrometer sample) clearly tastes dryer and less sweet than my other batches of similar OG have been. My last batch with similar OG and fermentables came in at 1.022.

Is it even possible to get this sort of attenuation?

Edit: I used the wrong numbers in my calculation, sorry. It's 79%.

Absolutely. My fall pumpkin ale starts at 1.075 and got down to 1.008 on the first batch, and 1.010 on the second. Fermented at 68 degrees both times.

I just racked an extract brew with an OG of 1.082 and FG of 1.017 (corrected for temperature). I'm using Wyeast 1056 which is supposed to be 73-77%. The room that my carboy sits is a steady 63F. I used 10lbs of LME and 1.5lbs of Crystal. I did make a 1.5L plain starter (no stir or O2). I pitched the starter at high krausen and had action within 8hrs.

Is this possible? I'm thinking maybe a I got a false reading, however this beer (right out of the hydrometer sample) clearly tastes dryer and less sweet than my other batches of similar OG have been. My last batch with similar OG and fermentables came in at 1.022.

Is it even possible to get this sort of attenuation?

82-17 = 65
65/82 = 79% attenuation

That's the math I come up with. Sounds like pretty reasonable attenuation to me.

82-17 = 65
65/82 = 79% attenuation

That's the math I come up with. Sounds like pretty reasonable attenuation to me.

Whoops, I used the wrong numbers in my calculation. You're right.

Back