7cf freezer conversion to fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnlvs2run

Reaction score
I've got a 7cf freezer that is full, and am looking to get another one to convert to a fridge.
My plan is to replace the thermostat in a Whirlpool EH070CFX from Costco with this Love controller.
Controllers-Panel Mount And Love On/Off Temperature Controllers - Cole-Parmer Catalog

I've read quite a few other threads and still have some questions as this is all new to me.
1) Should the Love controller be able to replace the thermostat in this freezer?
2) Will I need an extension cord to splice in, or just regular #10 wiring.

I looked for a freezer schematic on the Whirlpool site but didn't find anything there.

You will need a heavy duty extension cord and that is about it. Turn the freezer to its coldest setting and plug it into to the controller and the controller into the wall. That's it and it will work fine. No need to mess with the thermostat of the freezer.

Unless you want the normal features of the freezer to work such as any door lights. I'm trying to wire one up right now with just bypassing the thermostat. Not having much luck, but will post once I get it figured out with some help.

Ed and IP, thanks for your feedback.

The extension cord idea sounds good. Concerns are if the additional cord would
increase electrical draw, or if this setup would shorten the life of the freezer compressor.
On the plus side, putting this together should be easier and give me more flexibility.

There are no lights in this freezer, and I don't need a defrost feature anyway.
Are there any other advantages to replacing the thermostat directly?

Ed and IP, thanks for your feedback.

The extension cord idea sounds good. Concerns are if the additional cord would
increase electrical draw, or if this setup would shorten the life of the freezer compressor.
On the plus side, putting this together should be easier and give me more flexibility.

There are no lights in this freezer, and I don't need a defrost feature anyway.
Are there any other advantages to replacing the thermostat directly?

I prefer to bypass the thermostat, only because I think it makes for a cleaner installation. If you leave the thermostat in there it is just one more part to fail. If there are no lights or anything like that in it the extension cord mod would be fine.

A heavy gauge extension cord would be fine. And no, it wont hurt it the freezer at all.

Basically get the extension cord and cut it in half. Take the half with the male connector and connect the line (black) wire to pin 8 and neutral (white) to pin 7. Take a piece of wire and jump it from pin 11 to pin 8. Now on the female side of the cord connect the line (black) to pin 10 and neutral (white) to pin 7. Then bond the two ground wires together.
Plug one end of the cord into the wall and then plug the fridge into the the other side of the cord. Bang, you're done.

I prefer to bypass the thermostat, only because I think it makes for a cleaner installation. If you leave the thermostat in there it is just one more part to fail. If there are no lights or anything like that in it the extension cord mod would be fine.

A heavy gauge extension cord would be fine. And no, it wont hurt it the freezer at all.

Basically get the extension cord and cut it in half. Take the half with the male connector and connect the line (black) wire to pin 8 and neutral (white) to pin 7. Take a piece of wire and jump it from pin 11 to pin 8. Now on the female side of the cord connect the line (black) to pin 10 and neutral (white) to pin 7. Then bond the two ground wires together.
Plug one end of the cord into the wall and then plug the fridge into the the other side of the cord. Bang, you're done.

Virtuous, thank you very much for the great instructions.

Is it also possible to bypass the thermostat by bonding the to/from wires together?

You could. But since you are taking the least invasive way to do it with the extension cord you might as well leave it. This way should you decide to use the freezer for something else you can just remove the extension cord.

Back