7 year old kegged beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oaky

Reaction score
Ah yes... the amazing powers of forgetfullness.

Seems I have found 3 corneilus kegs of beer (amazingly enough still Co2ed) from my early beer forays.

So i tried one of em today. Definitly unusual.. Perhaps turning a bit towards vinegar. If I recall the beer, it was a real heavy cream stout - orange, coffee and lots of heft.
So - what to do? Should I encourage it and get a batch of fine beernegar? ;-)

If so, what should I do to get going and prevent bad stuff? Oxygenate?

I havent tried the other 2 yet. one should be real interesting.

Wow sweet beer time capsule. Does the taste start to go away with each glass? Just have a few buds come over and let 'em know the first few will taste funny, but it'll get better as you keep going.

If one of them is a lighter beer that has turned, you could always inoculate with a vinegar mother from unfiltered apple cider vinegar. From what I've read, you don't really want to make vinegar with higher IBU beers either.

by forgetfullness do you really mean
" i just got out of prison, spent 7 years hard time for some napster downloads. damn you lars. just before i got locked up i keged 3 batches of beer, thankfully mom left them in the basement right next to the N64, in prison i learnd about fresh fish, i really like it , i think i would like to turn this old hafe vinegar in to a nice malt vinegar to go with some fish and chips."

this is the only logical story to a home brewer forgeting about 15 gal of beer and 3 kegs for 7 years.

I have tried to forget about a keg of mead for a year thats bulk ageing, but my dreams of one day drinking it keep reminding me its there.

Damn, I'm so found out. But I've learned out of a make a fire by putting a pencil in an electrical socket, and orange isn't a bad color for a jump suit after all. Plus - I make a mean pruno now.

I've only started with a small drip of a glass. It wasn't unpleasant, just very different. It is more cloudy - and I also had it warm.
I've got a mother from wine - but none from cider - interchangeable or likely to give off flavors?

I'm going to do a few more tastings before i commit to vinegar.

the second batch is a batch made with added coconut milk i brought back from a trip in the carib - back when u could that.. hmm. maybe they're older than 7 years.

Back