7 days ready to drink beer > what you think ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majed41

Reaction score
after a lot of research i come to this conclusion in order to have ready commercial like beer in 7 days

1- after 7 days fermentation i will be using 1 micron Beer Filter Kit to remove the yeast and clear the beer with Keg System
Beer Filter Kit - 10 in. Canister Filter | MoreBeer
2- after filtering finish i will be using QuickCarb devise to carbonate the beer within 40 minutes
QuickCarb™
3- Bottle the beer from keg using beergun and start to drink

Is this sound Good or i will be missing something with natural aging ?

Not something I'd do. You're assuming that the yeast will be done within that 7 day time frame. Maybe if your fermenting temperatures are spot on, and you pitch the perfect number of yeast, and provide them with plenty of O2 for their initial growth. Even then, I don't see any real benefit to trying to rush from pitch to glass.

Filtering is another set of hardware you'll need to clean and sanitize. Possible vectors for infection as well.
Even the quick carb says you need to leave it for a day post run.

What's the burning desire to get your beer 'finished' so quickly?? It's still going to need time to chill down. Either before you carbonate (which means less CO2 used) or post carbonate.

The commercial beer you are trying to emulate is not brewed and packaged in 7 days. So why do you think you could achieve that? Beer is not as good when rushed like that.

A brewery ferments to FG, lowers the temp to drop yeast and condition, pumps the beer out to a bright tank, chills it way down and lets it settle, and only then do they finally filter before packaging. The process takes a few weeks. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that's typical.

I'm not sure if you've brewed beer yet, but you should follow a traditional process and learn how it tastes as it moves along. Then you'll understand from personal experience.

Desperate to start drinking? Buy a six pack at the store. Work on that while you brew. Then start another batch halfway through the first. Once you have a "pipeline" going, you won't feel the urgency to rush everything.

One of my recipes (an English IPA) is one I brew 9 gallons of. I set that amount since it would fill three 3 gallon kegs (which is the size I've had for ages). With my recent keezer build, I picked up a pair of 6 gallon Torpedo kegs to replace two of those per batch. When I'm down to about 1/3 of the batch left in keg, it's on deck for being brewed (if it's not already in process).

I typically give my lower ABV (sub 6%) about 3-4 weeks in fermeneter before they go to serving/carbonating keg. Then two weeks at temp (add time to get down TO temp) at pressure and they're in glass.

The additional time, IME, gives my yeast time to flocculate out of suspension and make the brew clear. I don't use filters. I don't try to rush the carbonation stage either.

If you REALLY want to get your patience on, make a batch of mead. ;) My general rule there is 1 month per 1% ABV of recipe before I think about bottling it. I have batches that have been aging for several years (~8 for some of them) in bulk. I'll be bottling some of that in the coming weeks.

My opinion it would depend on the style you are looking for. A good unfiltered wheat beer would be turned around in close to that time, but I like my wheat beers to get some age on them, not lots, but more than a few days in the keg.

Ha. I make a 3.7% ordinary bitter with Notty all the time. If I REALLY need it in a hurry I can be grain to glass in 7-8 days. Why not? The fermentation is most likely done in 3 days, and sure as heck is in 5. 2 days to force carb and chill. It ain't as clear as it WILL get at that point, but there is only a little haze. Taste is nice and bitter, slightly bready, and NO ONE has ever complained. Betchya for sure there are plenty of folks around here that have done Hefe in that time! (Actually since I know some of them well I will say guarantee that!)

If I remember @IslandLizard went grain to glass in 3 days . I may be wrong .
What ABV and type of brew would that have been?? Can't see getting anything done THAT fast without being very low strength and having suboptimal carbonation levels. Even the 'rapid' carbonation methods need a day to stabilize (if not more). Which means two days from flame out to carbonate? Even IF he had yeast ready to go at the very start, and had the shortest lag time on record (minutes) I can't see that being anything worth talking about (quality of brew).

Sounds like something BMC would do and try to pass it off to customers as being 'great'.

2- after filtering finish i will be using QuickCarb devise to carbonate the beer within 40 minutes

a $27 dollar scale, and ~1 minute of shaking will get you there!

Even the quick carb says you need to leave it for a day post run.

very true when i carb by weight, i still have to let it sit like a shaken beer can/bottle.

LOL, that probably was me! ;) grain to keg in 4 days, and filling it up again!

are you in a hurry? asking just because? what's commercial like mean?

Why not use something like kveik and have fermentation hit terminal in 2-4 days, cold crash for 24 hrs, transfer to kegs with biofine and burst carbonate @45 psi for 30 minutes of shaking and drink it on day 6?

I've seen more than one thread here where it's been claimed a turn around of that time or even shorter. No personal experience as I always do three weeks in the primary. I'm not sure what your purpose is, exactly--speed? fun? just to see if you can do it? experiment?
I don't drink the IPAs but there's a lot of "drink fresh" comments.
I don't see much of a problem other than making sure it's done fermenting.

you'd be surprised on how much a bunch of chocolate malt, and black patent can cover up! ;) :mug:
I should of read your post before I replied. I’m still in shock. I’m used to waiting at least 3 weeks. I ferment 2 weeks, force carb then let sit a week.

I’m still in shock. I’m used to waiting at least 3 weeks.

well, i got a batch i brewed on thursday the 12th. it's at 1.000 now, so i tossed in the fridge to chill. tomorrow it will be about 42f, and i'll siphon into a couple kegs burst carb them to about 1.2oz's of co2, (i did think 1.5oz but get foam, so now 1.2oz is perfect) and they'll be ready to drink after about 3 hours resting, maybe 4.....

6 days brew to glass! :mug: and i'm planing on brewing again on friday! otherwise i'll run out!

Thank you for bringing this up. No, you're not wrong:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/3-day-ipa.674733/
What ABV and type of brew would that have been?? Can't see getting anything done THAT fast without being very low strength and having suboptimal carbonation levels. Even the 'rapid' carbonation methods need a day to stabilize (if not more). Which means two days from flame out to carbonate? Even IF he had yeast ready to go at the very start, and had the shortest lag time on record (minutes) I can't see that being anything worth talking about (quality of brew).

Sounds like something BMC would do and try to pass it off to customers as being 'great'.
1.061/1.015 NEIPA
6% ABV
Just the right amount of carbonation.

Actually it was 3 days, including serving at the event.
See the link above

Why?

A proper pipeline is easier, more reliable, cheaper and repeatable. Seven day turn around is faster than a commercial operation and they are looking at equipment time being income.

Anecdotally if I try one of my beers without having about a 2 week+ conditioning rest after kegging I am always disappointed. If I put something on tap too quickly I always notice when it "hits its stride". I assume this is a combination of natural ageing, hops stabilizing and carbonation/acid equilibrium.

Unless you have a good why I would not rush anything.

after a lot of research i come to this conclusion in order to have ready commercial like beer in 7 days

I think it might be feasible, but my question is why? I you want a commercial like beer: just buy it. It will be a cheap brand of beer, because you are not going to brew a top of the line beer in 7 days.

I keep a log of the batches of beer that I brew. I note when I brew, when I bottle, and when I taste. My beer consistently gets better as it ages. It is normally okay after two weeks in the bottle. But it is normally excellent after two months in the bottle. Unless you can unlock a secret that I have not found, you just will not know how good your beer can be unless you give it a bit of time. If your goal is to almost equal Keystone Beer, then you may succeed.

IMO, if you NEED beer that fast, you're living with some poor life choices (made in the past I hope). ;)
Or you're living with a raging alcoholic. :eek:
The batch we brewed last is going to be 3 weeks in fermenter come Sunday. I might check things between now and the end of the week to see how it's doing. Or just wait for BB to show up and let him have a taste (using a picnic tap to pull the sample). It will either go to keg, then keezer and on gas this weekend, or next. He needs to sample some hard cider we started that same day to see how it's doing. I know, tough job but someone needs to do it.

I'd say I have to agree with the longer fermentation. I mean, just because you CAN do something doesn't mean that you SHOULD. Even cheap commercial largers and low brow ales need at least two weeks to finish fermenting unless you somehow reach that coveted 1.010 in SMASH beer format. The concern is why you need beer so fast and not start a pipeline. If you are consuming beer at that rate you need more carboys is really all there is too it. I brewed roughly, and will by the end of the year, 140 gallons of beer all in 5 gallon batches. So... I dunno man, seems like there is a priority scheduling issue going on and very strange and should be worked out.

"Grain, which any fool can eat, but thanks to patience and the knowledge of our lord, he gave us a tremendous gift, we call BEER!" ~ Friar Tuck

I'd say I have to agree with the longer fermentation. I mean, just because you CAN do something doesn't mean that you SHOULD. Even cheap commercial largers and low brow ales need at least two weeks to finish fermenting unless you somehow reach that coveted 1.010 in SMASH beer format. The concern is why you need beer so fast and not start a pipeline. If you are consuming beer at that rate you need more carboys is really all there is too it. I brewed roughly, and will by the end of the year, 140 gallons of beer all in 5 gallon batches. So... I dunno man, seems like there is a priority scheduling issue going on and very strange and should be worked out.

"Grain, which any fool can eat, but thanks to patience and the knowledge of our lord, he gave us a tremendous gift, we call BEER!" ~ Friar Tuck
How exactly are you guys making an ale ferment take "2 weeks at least to finish"? I brew mostly 1.055 and under ales, and in the vast majority of cases they are DONE fermenting in 3-4 days. This is with any number of yeasts. When a beer goes from 1.050 down to 1.008 - 1.011 or so it is done. This happens all the time. Sure two weeks will allow the little yeast beasts to clean things up more. But 1.008 at three days is the same gravity as 1.008 at 14 days. The beer might be cleaner but it sure ain't getting MORE FERMENTED.

My beers are generally 2 weeks on primary and two weeks on gas conditioning MINIMUM before I start drinking, But so what, the question was; can the OP make a decent beer in a week and the answer is yes. Stick to lower gravity and styles like ordinary bitters, milds, hefes, and you can have fine tasting beer in a week. The best beer/ certainly not. But tasty. LOTS of folks on here have done it for a wide range of reasons - just read around the site there is years worth of examples. And a lot of them by very experienced brewers.

There are a lot of reasons that a person may want to get a beer together in a hurry, and used to be folks on this site were REALLY interested in helping find ways to accomplish a desired goal. A lot of help and effort was expended to sort out methods and styles that would allow such things. NOW we have a lot of sanctimonious BS about how anyone who does not "do it my way" is just wrong or derelict. A whole lot of dictatorial crapola about how "you need to follow MY schedule, and follow MY process" Look at the majority of the responses to this post - VERY little useful help and a WHOLE LOT of pious, self righteous criticizing and recrimination.

Here is a video with brew ready in 8 days. I have duplicated this on a couple occasions - and for perfectly GOOD reasons that are neither your business, nor derelict in nature.
http://chopandbrew.com/episodes/chop-brew-episode-10-boat-bitter/

Maybe the answer should be "Can you? Yes. Should you? If you don't care about the best quality, then go for it."

I guess most of us here who like to give advice prefer not to advise against our own best instincts. That's kind of the point of giving advice. It's not dictatorial or self-righteous. If one does not want advice, then one shouldn't ask for it.

Ho Look at the majority of the responses to this post - VERY little useful help and a WHOLE LOT of pious, self righteous criticizing and recrimination.
Maybe some of us were overly critical, including myself. But ... the OP did ask:
Perhaps I should not have responded, since I have never attempted, successfully or unsuccessfully, to brew a beer from start to finish in seven days.

Well, I am in NEED of some homebrew. And until about 4 hours ago, I had zero reason to think I would be making any more any time soon (That is a different post!) But as it is, I am now gonna be brewing a 4 ish percent cream ale tomorrow, and I am going to try to start to rebuild my lost pipeline - BUT I am in a bit of a hurry. I am not gonna try to make the 7 day limit, but I am gonna bet I have a tasty Cream-of-three Crops on tap and happy at 10 days! I think if I ain't lost my touch, that with a bit of jello, and a bit of care i the process, it will even be pretty clear at that point - I am SURE it will be drinkable. I will let you know.

Ok, I saw the video and for me I disagree with the concept and premise, but as stated by McKnuckle, I want the best homebrew I can get. The yeast can take up to 2 weeks to clean the acetaldehyde and diacetyl from your beer and that is just one issue. Again, however, this may not bother most people AND the weaker the beer the less fermentation going on probably or less "dust" kicked up by the fermentation process, the less likely it is such a big deal to leave in primary for more than 4 days (In the video the guys were making 3.5% beer [I could be wrong, I quickly perused it before working]). It's just not something I would personally advocate doing if you want the best result and especially if you're making a beer over 5%.

In the end you will find out if it is drinkable. But I do think you need to try and do a straight comparison sometime and let your friends blind taste between 4 day to keg and 2-4 weeks to keg and REALLY check to see if people notice a difference. Who knows, it could be more relevant to beer style and yeast strains too. So this is a project you could undertake to see the comparison. :) Good luck with it.

Ok, I saw the video and for me I disagree with the concept and premise, but as stated by McKnuckle, I want the best homebrew I can get. The yeast can take up to 2 weeks to clean the acetaldehyde and diacetyl from your beer and that is just one issue. Again, however, this may not bother most people AND the weaker the beer the less fermentation going on probably or less "dust" kicked up by the fermentation process, the less likely it is such a big deal to leave in primary for more than 4 days (In the video the guys were making 3.5% beer [I could be wrong, I quickly perused it before working]). It's just not something I would personally advocate doing if you want the best result and especially if you're making a beer over 5%.

In the end you will find out if it is drinkable. But I do think you need to try and do a straight comparison sometime and let your friends blind taste between 4 day to keg and 2-4 weeks to keg and REALLY check to see if people notice a difference. Who knows, it could be more relevant to beer style and yeast strains too. So this is a project you could undertake to see the comparison. :) Good luck with it.
I have made Dawson's extraordinary ordinary Bitter for several years - I like it very much. I NORMALLY leave it two weeks in primary, and two weeks on gas. BUT, I have made this beer in the same 8 days as you see in that vid, and frankly other than clarity there ain't enough difference to speak of. I could say the same for Orfy's mild, and Centennial blonde both of which I have had done in 8 or 9 days a couple times each.

ALL THAT SAID - After nearly 35 years of brewing, I have learned that I really don't know much and likely never will! I will never argue that conditioning time is not your friend - But I will say you most definitely CAN make decent good tasting beer in a short period of time. A lot of folks on this site have done so. The beer in that video was DESIGNED to be done quickly. But I am NOT here as an evangelical for rapid brewing techniques! If you believe that the 10 penny word monsters are polluting every beer that does not age for weeks on end - Then this is absolutely indisputable and i would not try to convince you otherwise.

Even the 'rapid' carbonation methods need a day to stabilize (if not more).

Why would it need to stabilize? Are you talking about the final equilibrium between the beer and the headspace, or something else? I've seen beer carbonated and served in under an hour with no problems. I'm not really a fan of fast force carbonating, but it's certainly possible.

Why would it need to stabilize? Are you talking about the final equilibrium between the beer and the headspace, or something else? I've seen beer carbonated and served in under an hour with no problems. I'm not really a fan of fast force carbonating, but it's certainly possible.
The item in the opening post even had letting the beer sit for a day after using the item on it before serving/canning/bottling.

The only aspect of brewing I like to happen fast is the post boil chilling of the wort. Everything else takes however long it takes.

The item in the opening post even had letting the beer sit for a day after using the item on it before serving/canning/bottling.

I've seen that Blichmann QuickCarb in action. It's not the same thing at all as the shaking/rolling methods, but even with the Blichmann, you can serve immediately after carbonating if you plan it right.

Something I didn't see in the OP or mentioned since:

I see no mention of cold. While you can certainly carbonate warm, attempting to bottle warm carbonated beer is going to be an absolute disaster.

If you keg spund, grain to glass in less than 7 days is 100% doable. Especially with lower gravities. Unless you are using an English yeast and isinglass you probably won't have clear beer without filtration, but that's not the end of the world. I used to do 5-7 day grain to glass cask ale (Mild and Bitter in the 2.5-4.5% ABV range) pretty regularly.

If it takes two weeks for an ale yeast to clean up acetaldehyde or diacetyl, your fermentation management needs serious work. Lagers are another story.

Honestly i made a chocolate stout and it came out the keg green. It was great but i felt like i needed to change things about it next time. me and my brother drank it really fast so after about a week in the keg on gas, i noticed it tasted a lot better, on the last glass, 2 weeks after kegging it , it was phenomenal. I vowed to let it age for at least 2 weeks next time and m hefe actually tastes good after a week also. So I think the 2 week rule is pretty solid to get the most out of your beer. its hard to let it sit for 2 weeks but damn you will be rewarded with a great tasting beverage.

I like to lager most beers, both lagers and ales, for 90 days. If it is a heavier ale or lager like a big Oktoberfest then 6 months. Once your pipeline is established, this is easy, I usually have 6 or so kegs aging at a time. You just drink the aged beers while the others improve. The exception is very hoppy beers, IPA and such.

For many, a good beer will be fantastic with about 3 months of aging IMHO..! Really improves things!

Last edited:
well, i got a batch i brewed on thursday the 12th. it's at 1.000 now, so i tossed in the fridge to chill. tomorrow it will be about 42f, and i'll siphon into a couple kegs burst carb them to about 1.2oz's of co2, (i did think 1.5oz but get foam, so now 1.2oz is perfect) and they'll be ready to drink after about 3 hours resting, maybe 4.....

6 days brew to glass! :mug: and i'm planing on brewing again on friday! otherwise i'll run out!

just as an update, it was only at 55f yesterday :( so had to put off kegging.

Back