65 GPH... Is it enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillbag

Reaction score
Found a 65GPH submersible pump for free... Is it even worth trying to hook it up to my immersion chiller?

Or will it not pump anywhere close to enough water through the chiller?

I was always under the impression a slow flow will result in max heat draw. I know when i am running my IC the faster i run the water the less heat comes out of the end. use a valve that allows you to adjust the flow from the pump and see what works best for you.

I don't think it will work. I use a 240gph pump on my IC and it works awesome.

65gph is TINY for a pump. It may not have enough oomph to clear the headspace, depending on where you let the waste water go.

mine goes up 3.5 feet in to the kitchen sink.

Yeah... I kinda figured it wasn't strong enough.

The max lift is 26 inches... Which isn't much at all!

why do you have to lift? if you have it level try it. you did say it was free correct?

Pump manufacture specs are under ideal conditions (a selling item), like shortest inlet and outlet hose length besides minimum head pressures to reach their numbers. To be sure take those manufacture spec numbers and cut them in half. This to allow for IC fluid and hose resistance, lengths and head. If you can live with that you should have the right pump for the job. Overpowered just throttle back, underpowered you just made a manufacture more money. JMO's as I have worked on many well pump systems over the years where water is pushed thru long runs, pipe resistance, diameter, length, pressure (head) and volume all play into this. Know what you want out of a pump before purchasing no matter how cheap or good of a deal it is.

I just used a 75 gph pump today submerged in ice water to cool my wort. It seemed to work well, though I wouldn't really be able to say it works just as good as a bigger one. But I cooled 5.5 gallons to 68 degrees. A few weeks ago, before the pump, all I could muster was 82. So, for $15.00 it was certainly worth it.

Tim in MN

Back