Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grod1

Reaction score
I would love to hear from anyone who has any opinions about the idea.

batch 12 gallons (fermentor volume)
Original Gravity: 1.089
Final Gravity: 1.022
ABV (standard): 8.78%
IBU (tinseth): 40
SRM (morey): 36.84

FERMENTABLES:
30 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (73.4%)
2 lb - Belgian - Munich (4.9%)
1 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (2.4%)
1 lb - American - Midnight Wheat Malt (2.4%)
14 oz - Flaked Oats (2.1%)
12 oz - American - Aromatic Malt (1.8%)
12 oz - American - Roasted Barley (1.8%)
8 oz - American - Black Malt (1.2%)
8 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 120L (1.2%)
2oz:1oz Raspberry Apricot extract
+
Almond Super Flavor
I am thinking about removing the Munich and adding .5-1 # biscuit. Thoughts?
I'm not sure where to when to add the fruit. it hardly needs to play a role at all. so i am contemplating just added to the mash.Opinions?
a small amount of lactose??

HOPS:
un decided, please share, im kinda of feeling tahoma atm

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
32 oz - cholaca, Type: Flavor, Use: Primary
5 cups of Beet Juice. Blend 2 beets with 5 cups of water, strain, add to last 5 min of boil.
(skin the beets same as potatoes)
YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
I also need almond extract.Or should i use a almond liqueur?What would you do?
My biggest problem right now is i am 4 pounds over what my mashttun can hold. so just except the lower ABV or add sugar/ Light malt extract??

Based on your other identical thread that wasn't really commented on (and locked), you're probably not going to get much feedback on this one. There's just a lot going on here, and like Gila & Yooper suggested - people are likely keeping quiet because of nothing constructive to add.

I would love to hear from anyone who has any opinions about the idea.

batch 12 gallons (fermentor volume)
Original Gravity: 1.089
Final Gravity: 1.022
ABV (standard): 8.78%
IBU (tinseth): 40
SRM (morey): 36.84

FERMENTABLES:
30 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (73.4%)
14 oz - Flaked Oats (2.1%)
12 oz - American - Aromatic Malt (1.8%)
12 oz - American - Roasted Barley (1.8%)
8 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 120L (1.2%)
2oz:1oz Raspberry Apricot extract
Almond extract

HOPS:
Doesn't matter, this isn't a hoppy beer, just go with warrior or CTZ for bittering at 60 minutes

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
32 oz - cholaca, Type: Flavor, Use: Primary No idea what that even is, but NO
5 cups of Beet Juice. Blend 2 beets with 5 cups of water, strain, add to last 5 min of boil. Will look like blood and taste like dirt, NO
(skin the beets same as potatoes)
YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
I also need almond extract.Or should i use a almond liqueur?What would you do? I would go with extract
My biggest problem right now is i am 4 pounds over what my mashttun can hold. so just accept the lower ABV or add sugar/ Light malt extract??

Yes that's probably your simplest solution. You can also do a double mash with half the ingredients in each and then combine them and boil longer to get rid of any excess water

My $0.02... Simplify it, pick 1 or 2 flavors you want to shine and design the recipe around those. All other flavors need to be complimentary to your primaries. I picked apricot almond, and I would call it an apricot almond stout. Lactose might be ok

Even this might be a mess of flavor, but I'd risk the experiment just because I like almond flavoring

Thanks for the input man if i were to use only two it would be the almond and chocolate but a rainbow cookie stout was requested so i will have to add some raspberry.
cholaca is a proven chocolate product that is the best out there. It has been proven to work great for commercial breweries aswell.
i have a rule of thumb to use 7 grains for minimum for my stouts.
the stout needs the midnight wheat because the recipe you just posted has a SRM of 17.08, thats no stout.
but i hear you, keep it simple. i thought about omitting the apricot because its such a subtle flavor in the cookies that no one even knows its there.
I originally wanted to add fruit to get the flavors but i decided extract would be best for a quicker turn around.

Back