60qt Brew Kettle: Great deal!? Anybody know this guy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sardoman

Reaction score
Been looking for a 60qt+ kettle for a while now, waiting for a good deal. Today I see this ad on Craigslist:

60 Quart Stainless Brew Pot - $135
Includes lid, steamer tray (not false bottom, only useful for direct-fire BIAB) and two welded female 1/2'' npt fittings at the bottom.

It's in Milwaukee, WI but what he's asking for shipping is reasonable. Sounds like a great deal -- maybe too good. The guy doesn't have a storefront or a website. He says he buys up a few dozen of these at a time and sends them in to a welding shop to have the work done. Anybody in WI know this guy? He says he has ads up in Craigslist in several major cities in the US. Has anyone here done a deal with him?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/for/2577811225.html

I just bought from him. The first one came with a defective weld around one of the fittings and leaked a little.. The next day he sent me a new one with a return label to send the first one back. This weekend I'm going to brew in it and I'll let you know.

Search the forums a little. I believe your question has been asked before about this guy, and there were some good experiences reported.

@ diver1: Congratulations on your new kettle! Thanks for responding. I look forward to hearing your report.

@ mojo_wire: Did searches. Didn't find. If you know what the thread is, will you please post a link here? Thanks!

Brewed today and the pot performed perfectly. I like the height to diameter ratio. I'll probably get another. Each gallon measures pretty close to 7/8ths of an inch. Took a 1 inch strip of stainless and made a scale with metal punches. Turned out to be pretty accurate.

I paid $60 for my 60qt brew kettle at a used restaurant supply store, had to do some drilling for thermometer and hopback/ball valve but does the job well and for 60 bucks can't really complain.

He has posted for sale ads here in the classifieds. No experience with his kettles.

I am debating a new 15 gallon kettle but have a limited budget. I have seen the talk about his keggles, but I wonder where this pot is originally from. Bayou perhaps. Anyone else have any insight into this vs other 15 gal pots?

Thanks!

Hey Ben...I'm in the market for a ~15 gallon pot.

Can you tell me:
a) what the guage/thickness of the kettle walls is, and
b) would you ship to Canada?

Thanks!

Nick

Back