60 gal wine barrel as a circulating primary fermentation vessel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckenneth

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I came across a 60 gal wine barrel in an excellent shape made from hungarian oak for $60 and I had to give it a try.

My problem is, I dont have resources to fill it as an aging barrel since all my equipment is used for 5-10 gal batches.
My plan is to basically make beer how
My goal is to make a lot of drinkable beer for parties, not necessarily barrel aged.

Water test barrel, sanitize, clean
2x 60lb bags of 6-row malt + additional grains per recipe
Mash and boil 10-20 gal on day one
Add to barrel, let cool down, add yeast
Make another 10-20 gal wort on day 2, cool it, add to barrel.
Keep adding until almost full with headspace while fermentation continues
Let sit for month or a few
Use it to fill 5 gal kegs and carboys,

I have around 7 kegs and 5 carboys, should be enough
Kegs would fill first with clearer beer from the top of barrel
Carboys would fill last with muddier beer from the bottom and set to clear

Then maybe reuse it or cut up the barrel for planting

If it works, the circulating part would be to keep adding wort when its depleted the first time. Or maybe use it to fill a few kegs at a time, then replenish it with fresh wort.

I know its not an expert beer, but it's extremely cheap and fast to make, around $200 total for 10-12 kegs. Has anyone tried this? Would the oak barrel cause primary fermentation to spoil?

Thanks,

Barrels are tough to clean and sanitize- used barrels are generally used for sours because of this. Oxidation would be a problem, especially if you "let it sit for a month or a few".

Nothing is wrong with sour. Should I be expecting lactic or brett or both?

Oxidation occurs because of the extra headspace or leaking air? Im assuming the barrel is water tight so it's airtight as well

Should I be ok to sanitize it with Star San?

Latest posts

Back