6 row use questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeknom366

Reaction score
I am about to take the jump from extract to all gain, and I've read several forum posts and articles on the difference between 6row, 2row, and MO, including the famous BMG comparison. I have two questions regarding the use. Below are the next few styles I want to brew. Will there be a noticeable impact in flavor from the 6 row on any of them?

Irish Red Ale
Christmas Ale
Chocolate Stout
American IPA

Second, I found an amazing deal on 6 row ($1.50 for 50lb). Is it even worth trying for the "better" flavor or efficiency of 2 row or MO at this point?

do you mean $1.50/lb for 50lbs or actually $1.50 for the whole sack? if its the former, thats a terrible deal.

The place says $1.50 for 50 lb of 6 row and $70 for 50 lb of 2 row. I'm certain it's a mistake, but definitely one I'll take advantage of.

Screenshots for reference

ForumRunner_20130913_152506.jpg

ForumRunner_20130913_152520.jpg

You'll likely get a lot of mixed opinions on the differences in taste between 2 nd 6 row. For lighter beers, I have read the taste is more noticeable. If you're brewing something with darker grains then you won't detect the taste difference as much. So it has been said. Note that I am new, I don't brew AG, and I only repeat what I've read from various sites, including this one here. In fact, what I've written may very well be plagiarism. :eek:

Flat rate shipping, too? I'm pretty certain you're going to get 4lbs of malt. I guess you can try it, but be ready to be disappointed.

Back