6 oz of chocolate??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryno

Reaction score
Yes that's what the BYO 150 clone beer magazine says for the Young's Double Chocolate clone.. It uses 6 oz of cocoa powder. Has anyone made this clone? Seems like a lot of chocolate.

I have not made this clone exactly, but I have made chocolate stouts a few times. My last attempt used 12oz of Baker's dark in secondary. I can say that the chocolate was very present in the beer, but not overwhelming. The beer had other issues that kept it from being very good, but none related to the amount of chocolate I used. What really did my beer in was inconsistant carbonation from bottle to bottle. Some were completely flat and others were gushers (not infected). Need to stir like mad with the priming sugar next time. :D

Terje

Yes I have, twice, and I actually added 2/3oz of chocolate extract at bottling/kegging also. Most of the cocoa stays behind in the fermenter, the longer you let it sit in there, the more chocolate flavor you will pick up from it. Some people use less amount and add it at bottling/kegging, but I don't like the sludge you get in the bottom from that (although it is chocolaty tasty sludge). The real key is the lactose, I bottled a few without it, and you get a bitter dark chocolate flavor.

It depends on the quality of the cocoa. If you are talking Hershey's cocoa, I would say that's not very much but if you are talking about a cocoa like Ghirardelli or a good dutch cocoa, it's quite a bit.

It depends on the quality of the cocoa. If you are talking Hershey's cocoa, I would say that's not very much but if you are talking about a cocoa like Ghirardelli or a good dutch cocoa, it's quite a bit.

First time I used organic cocoa, came out very much like Youngs, but had absolutely no head. Second time I used Hershey's which had a lower fat content. Result, better head but less chocolate flavor.

I got the chocolate from AHS .......it is the Belgium cocoa powder. I also have some chocolate extract that the recipe calls for from the Spice House. I usually do not secondary and was wondering if I can go straight to the keg after 14-21 days? This is my first time with a brew like this.

I got the chocolate from AHS .......it is the Belgium cocoa powder. I also have some chocolate extract that the recipe calls for from the Spice House. I usually do not secondary and was wondering if I can go straight to the keg after 14-21 days? This is my first time with a brew like this.

As long as everything has settled out, no need to secondary. Although, like I said, the longer it sits on the cocoa, the more flavor will be drawn out.

Latest posts

Back