6.5 gallon glass carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6-5-gallon-glass-carboy.jpg'

6.5 gallon glass (dangerous if dropped, but well trusted and retro!)
6-5-gallon-glass-carboy.jpg

A must as a primary fermenter. Works much better than a 5 gallon. A 5 gallon will not give you enough headspace for most primary fermentations.
Price Payed: $25.00
Recommended? Yes

IT IS ACTUALLY A 6 GALLON SINCE THEY CLOSED THE PLANT IN MEXICO. I HAVE FOUND A COUPLE OF 5 GALLON CARBOYS AT SWAP MEETS THOUGH.
Price Payed: $35.00
Recommended? Yes

coolcool cool cool cool cool cool coolcoolcool cool cool cool cool cool coolcoolcool cool cool cool cool cool coolcoolcool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Price Payed: $0.00
Recommended? Yes

Easy to clean, works great for all primary fermentations. Excellent for price. Not as nice as a conical but way cheaper.
Price Payed: $25.00
Recommended? Yes

6.5 gallon glass carboy.... its glass and it ferments beer... what more can you say?
Price Payed: $40.00
Recommended? Yes

Havnt used it yet. expecting to use it in a few weeks, will update review.
Havnt used it yet. expecting to use it in a few weeks, will update review.
Recommended? Yes

I like using Better Bottles over glass anymore, however they still do a great job. They also last forever if not dropped, however be super careful some serious injuries have come from broken carboys. I recommend using a brew-sling, milk crate, etc to carry them about.
Recommended? No
Pros: You can watch the fermentation process
Cons: Heavy and be dangerous is dropped, prices have gone up

I love the Italian 6.5 gallon carboys. These things are very easy to keep clean with the right chemicals and sanitation is better than any other surface. These things rock, and I wouldn't reccomend anything else except a S.S. conical if you have the room and the money to spend.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: clean
Cons: you have to be carefull

More sanitary, durable, heavy, but a pain to clean if your brew cakes onto the glass.
Price Payed: $50.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: glass
Cons: cleaning

This carboy has not failed me so far. I enjoy the amount of headspace that it has for fermenting 5 gallon batches. Only thing that I don't like about it is the the price. I bought it at my LHBS and i feel i could have gotten a better price elsewhere. Only thing is that usually I would have to pay for shipping and it would offset the savings of actually just walking into the shop. All in all, no complaints about the effectiveness of the carboy. Definitely would recommend.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Enough space to handle a 5 gallon fermentation. No off odors or flavors from the glass.
Cons: Pricey...Breakable

It was free and it holds beer
Recommended? Yes
Pros: It was free and it holds beer
Cons: i cant keep beer in it for long

One of the better purchases I've made. I love being able to see the beer while it's fermenting and also to clean the whole thing without fear of scratching.
Price Payed: $45.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Simple as can be. Lots of headspace for 5 gal. batches.
Cons: Nothing.

Recently bought one to replace the 5 gallon glass carboy I broke. I also bought another 5 gallon in order to increase my brewing abilities. This one will become my primary from now on. So far so good. I've put a couple batches through her with no problems.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: No need for blow-off except for the most vigorous of fermentations.
Cons: A little harder to clean than your standard 5 gal. Needs all new caps and airlocks to fit it.

I like glass carboys because when I pick up the carboy it wont suck in juice from the airlock.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: can see whats going on and no scratching
Cons: heavy and can break

Well I mean, it's a carboy. The way I was taught to brew, this is an essential piece of equipment (particularly when making stout beers)
Price Payed: $60.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Excellent at its job, see-through
Cons: Heavy as hell when full!

I love my glass carboys. I use them for primarys and secondarys and if it was convenient to bottle out of them, I would. They're worth paying up to about $30 for, I'd say. I recommend investing in a good way to carry them (like a handle).
Price Payed: $26.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Glass! Easy to clean, easy to sanitize, easy to see what's goin' on with your brew.
Cons: When full of beer? HEAVY. Also, if you drop it on concrete, you can bleed. Lots.

Glass has been the tried and true fermentation method but the newer plastic bottles that have come out are tremendous. Much safer should you drop one (I have and nothing happened . . . say that with glass). I have noticed no difference in the taste of the beer using plastic for primary or secondary.
Recommended? No
Pros: Easy to sanitize. See through is great to observe fermentation.
Cons: Weight and safety issues

Not much to say about this, it's a glass carboy and it serves me well. I only use glass for all of my fermenting and don't find it difficult to clean typically, just awkward to handle. I have been meaning to get a better carrier for it (I use one that goes around the neck but am not too impressed) to help make it less awkward.
Price Payed: $30.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Glass, so easy to clean, no chance of odd flavors
Cons: Glass, so can be awkward to handle

After collecting nearly a decade of stickers and floating across the mid west this bad boy has some character and it ended up in my possession. I highly advise keeping at least one for a primary around cause they just look that good. If I had a better membership, I would post a pic of it
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Its comes preloaded with stickers
Cons: Its heavy when full

Mainly bought it since I had done a wheat beer in a bucket awhile back & heard that it would transfer flavors to subsequent batches. The carboy is large enough to scale batches to 6 gallons or more depending on how crazy you're expecting the fermentation to be.
Be sure to buy a handle or carboy hauler. Dropped and shattered glass carboys have been known to seriously injure those who weren't careful.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Viewing fermentation, doesn't absorb flavors, cleanable with oxyclean + vinegar/water rinse.
Cons: Difficult to take gravity test samples. Glass carboys are heavy/dangerous when full.

I have about 8 glass carboys and they have always served me well. The glass means there is no transference of oxygen into your beer, even when aging for extended periods. The drawback is that they are clear glass, which means you need to provide extra protection against exposure to sunlight. In addition, they are heavy and are breakable. Luckily, I have broken only 1 in the last 3 years.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: No Oxygen Permeating
Cons: Heavy, breakable

It can get heavy. Be carful when cleaning with water on the outside of the fermenter it can become slick. You need to get a carboy handle with this one.
Price Payed: $20.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: It is easy to clean and handle
Cons: Can get kinda heavy and I have a hard time putting it in my sink

Perfect size, leaves enough headspace to not require a blowoff tube.
Price Payed: $65.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Glass won't scratch and can be reused for a lifetime.
Cons: bulky, heavy

Always afraid I'm going to chip it but that's the trade off for not having to worry about plastic fermenters getting cut and risking infection. I'll probably get a Better Bottle next but the glass is great.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: -great fermenter
-sturdy
Cons: -don't chip it

I love being able to see what is going on so a carboy is great. I definitely prefer this to a bucket.
Price Payed: $15.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Can watch your fermentation happen
Cons: none

not too much to say. it's a glass carboy and won't impart flavor or oxygen but the trade off is weight beakability and a little more work to get clean but all in all definatelly something I would reccomend highly.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: it's glass
Cons: heavy heavy very heavy !!!!

I like using it cause i can see through it and it has alot of head space for the foamier beers
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Can see through it
Cons: Heavy

works great enough room for krausen easy to clean a bit on the heavy side but worth the back pain
Price Payed: $39.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: works great
Cons: heavy

I love my car boys, I just look forward to the day I can afford a cone fermenter
smile.gif

Recommended? Yes
Pros: Well it's glass and it is easy to sanitize and does not give off any bad chemicals(unless it is cheap glass). The only better product would be a stainless cone fermenter.
Cons: difficult to access product.
HEAVY!(Get a strap)

I'm moving to all BB eventually, or once I've broken all my glass carboys, but easy to clean and jam in a standard b/o tube.
Price Payed: $5.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: good head space
easy to clean
easy to add blowoff tube
Cons: heavy ass glass

Glass is a more expensive option, but I feel that it's well worth it.
Price Payed: $60.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: I use this one as the primary for my 5 gal batches. Opposed to plastic bucket primaries, with this carboy I can see my beer. It's super easy to clean and sanitize. I can see my beer. It doesn't stain. Cleaning with a brush doesn't scar the surface, leaving it rough. Also, I can see my beer.
Cons: If proper care is not taken, light can definitely ruin the flavor of the beer. I ferment in a closet, so this is not much of an issue for me. Glass is heavier than plastic alternatives. I have huge muscles, so this is also not an issue for me.

Always be looking and planning
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Found six of these from a brewer selling off his equipment, all for hundred-dollars. Woot woot go Craigslist
Cons: I didn't have to spend $45 on each of them

A necessary upgrade for any home brewer. I got mine from my dad when he use to make home made wine.
Price Payed: $1.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Good Secondary
Cons: None

Great for basic brewing. Wish i could get stainless fermenters for this price. great product for beginning home brewers and even seasoned vets
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Got a great price from my buddy who works in the local brew shop/
Cons: glass. Always prefer stainless

Amazon.com - Paklab Glass Carboy 23 Liter
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Allows for good headspace on 5 gallon batches.
Cons: Narrow neck makes it a little tougher to clean.

Other people seem to complain that its too heavy but i don't think it is. I can handle it fine. it cleans easy and it works like a carboy should. There is no need for a blowoff tube as there is plenty of room for the krausen in this carboy.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: easy to clean. easy to use. if you want a glass carboy. definitely go with this 6.5 gallon
Cons: none that i can think of

Back