6.5 gal glass carboy stopper problems! Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beavdowg

Reaction score
I was given a 6.5 gal glass carboy for Christmas (the smooth sided ones) but am having a hell of a time keeping the stoppers in the neck of the carboy. My orange carboy cap doesn't even come close to being tight on the neck of the carboy. I've tried a couple different styles of stoppers but they all seem to fairly quickly slide up out of the neck of the carboy. Anybody else have this problem and what are you using for stoppers for those nice 6.5 gal glass carboys?

I think you're right. I just borrowed a buddy's 6 gallon carboy and I think the opening is smaller than the ones on my 5 gallon carboys.

Buy the universal stoppers. I started using them some 6 months back, and I'll never touch another drilled rubber stopper again. The alternative is getting a cap made for 6.5 gallon carboys (yes, they're a different size than the others), but I still like the universal variety; they won't slip or move, even when coated with star san.

you need the purple cap for a 6.5gal carboy they are smaller

I bought me a purple cap for my 6.5 and while it does "fit" it doesn't exactly "seal" very well. Not a major issue, but I want to see airlock activity.

I went back to using a rubber stopper (size 6 1/2 I think). As long as the inside neck of the carboy is dry and the stopper is dry it pretty much works like a champ. By the end of fermentation it's actually fairly difficult to get the stopper out!

I had this problem with my carboy when I bought a stopper for it. I pushed the thing in there and duct taped it down during one fermentation. It has held itself in there just fine ever since.

Yup, I don't use caps, but I have probably 8 or 10 stoppers, and all but one of them work fine with my 6.5-gal... but one of them, if the sides of it are even slightly moist (which they are, because I spray them with StarSan before putting the stopper in) then it slides right out after like 30 seconds. It appears to be slightly wider or narrow than the other stoppers (can't remember which) but damn if I could really have spotted the difference if I wasn't looking for it.

I discovered this replacing a blowoff hose with an airlock while I was on my way to bed. When my wife asked me what took so long, I told her I was having problems with my bunghole...

Back