5oz of leaf hops fits in a quart mason jar.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDom

Reaction score
I always wondered how many oz would fit in one. Now I know. Using a canning funnel (the blue thing) made filling much less messy than without. I filled and pressed them in each jar by hand until it was full, pressed them down the rest of the way with a jar of Lawry's seasoning, and repeated until they were really full. If I wanted to, I suppose I could have forced another 0.5oz or so in there, but with 5oz they didn't expand back out over the rim of the jar, and I'd hate to be surprised by unsealed jars a month from now. Hope this helps someone in planning freezer space. ; )

Oh, and I love hopsdirect!

ForumRunner_20111018_160249.jpg

How long can you store em that way? Does vacuum-storing them make a huge difference?

They'll keep a few years as long as they're kept at freezer temps. I haven't flushed mine with CO2 before sealing to make sure a the oxygen is purged, though I can and probably should. Basically, the less oxygen in there, and the colder the temps, the longer the hops will be fresh. Different hops will degrade at different rates given the same, conditions, and beersmith (and other tools I think?) can calculate the alpha acid loss for you.

Looks like you love harbor freight also. I just picked up that same digital scale yesterday.

The new foodsaver models have attachments so you can vacuum seal those jars.

BeerMe21 said:
Looks like you love harbor freight also. I just picked up that same digital scale yesterday.

The new foodsaver models have attachments so you can vacuum seal those jars.

I've had that scale for about 2yrs now, and have yet to change the batteries.

I also love the foodsaver and attachment. I've heard you can just buy the attachment and a mechanic's hand vacuum pump (for testing vacuum in car hoses and the like) will fit it perfectly, but since I already had the foodaver....

Well, apparently it can vary from hop to hop. When putting my "pound" of centennial into jars, I was barely able to squeeze 4oz into each jar. I'm not sure if it is a difference in moisture content or inherent density differences between the varieties, but the centennial just wouldn't stay compressed like the Amarillo would!

Back