5L Mini Keg Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearturkey

Reaction score
Hey y’all,
I was given a Nostalgia CBD5 growler dispenser as a present recently and I decided to try it out. I order a few of the 5L Mini Kegs (https://www.homebrewing.org/Mini-Ke...rdX9oHZUBVRbvfnF_ZFWQDZz4qAbNh98aAg4pEALw_wcB) and decided to condition a raspberry cream ale in two of them and bottle the rest. I mixed the priming sugar and filled the kegs and bottles. After a few days I opened by box to check on them and the bungs had slid out, almost causing an airlock type seal. I learned the bungs that came in with the kegs were not the correct ones. Since a lot of CO2 has escaped from these would there be any way I could “recondition” after this first batch of sugar has emptied and I get the correct bungs? Or should I just throw the correct bungs on and carb it with CO2 canisters?

First off, welcome! Second, where are you located? I'm in Illinois.

The bungs for that tap are a 2 piece and the shaft on the pump pushes the center into the keg.

I used to have more than a dozen mini-kegs many years ago. I brought them back from Germany. I also have 2 pumps. One is a cartridge-type for kegs without a gravity flow tap on the bottom and the other is a manual pump-style.

A pump is only needed if the keg does not have a gravity tap, but you will need the brown style bungs.

If the kegs have a gravity tap, a pump is not necessary if you use the black and red style bungs.
But this is only best if you will be killing the keg in one session since you're opening the top and allowing air into the keg.

As for re-priming, you can do either way you mentioned, but I would not remove the bungs if they have pressure behind them.

See picture of the bungs I mentioned above:

100_3636.JPG

Thanks for the reply!

So for my dispenser I had to order the same type as the brown ones you show. Mine has a gravity dispenser but I bought these to be used with a pump. The bungs that came with the kegs are small, hard rubber pieces that do not snap into place and do not hold any pressure.

I was not sure if I would be able to add more sugar to the keg to re-carbonate it since most of the CO2 most likely has leaked out. I was fairly certain it would be okay, but this is only my 5th batch of beer so I wanted to make sure before I made a mess :)

Thanks for the reply!

So for my dispenser I had to order the same type as the brown ones you show. Mine has a gravity dispenser but I bought these to be used with a pump. The bungs that came with the kegs are small, hard rubber pieces that do not snap into place and do not hold any pressure.

I was not sure if I would be able to add more sugar to the keg to re-carbonate it since most of the CO2 most likely has leaked out. I was fairly certain it would be okay, but this is only my 5th batch of beer so I wanted to make sure before I made a mess :)

After the carbonation pressure has subsided you can pull the bungs and add more sugar to "keg condition" and produce carbonation again and insert the new bungs.

The bungs have a lip that locks them into place. They are easier to push in if you wet them first. I used sanitizer.

Back