5526 Brett/Lambic yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattrettig

Reaction score
Hello all. I’m splitting a Saison batch, half just normal Saison and the other half I’m gonna finish with 5526 Brett Lambicus yeast. Has anyone used this yeast before? Mine is kinda old, so I intend to make a starter. Would I make my starter the same as usual? Also, the Wyeast pack doesn’t seem to be a “smack pack” with the little pouch of sugar water inside the main pouch. Is this normal or did my pack’s mini-starter already break? Thanks![emoji482]

A starter is 100% unnecessary. Cell count doesn't matter.

It's intentionally not a smack pack. Brett does not behave the same way as Sacc; it's much slower.

Cheers

P.S. I love this strain. Hope you like it too!

It doesn't affect flavor.

I store Brett +/- bacteria cultures at room temperature and I feed them every 3-6 months. All it takes is a few drops of the sediment in a batch and WHAM! Delicious Brett flavor! (After a couple months) :)

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Brettanomyces#Using_Brettanomyces
"A small cell count of Brettanomyces is plenty for creating these flavors if pitched after and co-pitched with Saccharomyces, and normally a starter is not necessary"

Cheers

Latest posts

Back