52 Qt. Coleman Xtreme cooler, need weight and Specific Heat in Btu/Lb. F.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have this cooler as well....but I don't think anybody is going to have these numbers (only an estimate).
My suggestion would be to hold it while weighing yourself (and without obviously).
For specific heat, my suggestion would be to take the cooler at room temp and add 5 gallons or so of 160F water and wait 5 minutes for it to equilibrate with the cooler, then stir and take a temp reading. Use this temperature to calculate the specific heat of the cooler.

I have this cooler as well....but I don't think anybody is going to have these numbers (only an estimate).
My suggestion would be to hold it while weighing yourself (and without obviously).
For specific heat, my suggestion would be to take the cooler at room temp and add 5 gallons or so of 160F water and wait 5 minutes for it to equilibrate with the cooler, then stir and take a temp reading. Use this temperature to calculate the specific heat of the cooler.

I'm OK with estimates.

Using the 52qt Coleman Xtreme:
Here's what I have in my BS2 equipment profile:
Volume: 13 gal
Weight: 24 lbs
Specific Heat 0.30 Cal/gr-°C
I underlet

But I think they're incorrect numbers, and/or incomplete variables/data. For example, there's no entry for heat loss during stirring.

Also, I find heat losses to be much higher when it's half full compared to full. Empty headspace is a total heat drain, I don't see that being taken into consideration anywhere.

For example, on a 5.5 gallon batch of 1.060 grist (12.5 lbs, 82% mash efficiency) I have to add 7°F (w/ preheat) or 14°F (w/o preheat) to my calculated strike water temp. I mash at 1.5 qt/pound of grist.

Heat loss from my 52qt xtreme seems to vary by starting temp of the cooler as well, and it doesn't seem to be linear, at least based on my experience, when all other things are equal (grist weight & temp, water vomume & temp, etc.).

Back