50LB Grain Sack Freshness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tumpster

Reaction score
So I'm going to the local Northern Brewer and am going to pick up a 50lb sack of 2-Row as I know this will be the base malt for 90% of my beers. I'm planning to mill the whole sack in store and bring an over-sized rubbermaid with me to store it all in. With this method, how long are the grains "fresh" for?

Not too long. Maybe a couple of weeks? If you could freeze them, it might last longer.

Unmilled grain kept cool and dry will easily last a year. Milled grain will last just a few weeks in a cool dry spot.

Will Northern Brewer let you buy a whole sack, and then just go in and mill what you need when it's time? Some stores allow that.

So seems like it's hit or miss. It's going to be in an airtight container and in my cellar which is around 55 degrees and low humidity. So should be just fine over the 1-2 months I think it'll be sitting.

I wouldn't mill the grain, that would be a huge loss if it went bad. If you are planning to buy bulk then it's time to think about your own mill. There are plenty of options from the inexpensive to the expensive, they all pretty much work (including coronas and modded 20 dollar art store pasta mills much to the dismay of die-hard barley crusher owners ;D )

I didn't get into buying bulk grain UNTIL I solved my crushing problem. I went with a corona mill and modded it.

I wouldn't mill the grain, that would be a huge loss if it went bad. If you are planning to buy bulk then it's time to think about your own mill. There are plenty of options from the inexpensive to the expensive, they all pretty much work (including coronas and modded 20 dollar art store pasta mills much to the dismay of die-hard barley crusher owners ;D )

I didn't get into buying bulk grain UNTIL I solved my crushing problem. I went with a corona mill and modded it.

I'd be looking for something in expensive. What are some alternatives that don't break the bank?

there are 2 low cost alternatives like I mentioned, pasta machine or corona mill. There's corresponding threads with plenty of info and tips.;

with_drill.jpg

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/

Or the 20 dollar pasta machine used for rolly polymer clay and cheap at any arts and craft store.

mill1.jpg

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/using-pasta-maker-mill-grain-75784/index4.html#post1119370

Where someone posted that they get a consitant 83% efficiency with theres.

These are both great options for folks on a budget or looking to get their feet wet in PM's or all grain...Both can be motorized and can handle as much grain as their hopper can hold.

You can get a corona style mill on ebay for like 28 bucks. I purchased one recently and have been happy with it. You're going to want to use a drill on it though, if you have one, because milling 10+ pounds of grain gets tiring after a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a fan of the Corona mill too. I built a rig almost as pretty as Revvy's, but my drill wasn't strong enough to drive it. Even the old fashioned hand crank way has worked well for me.
The only time I wished I had spent some extra cash on a barley crusher or other grain mill, was when I had to crush 25lbs for a 10g batch. It took nearly an hour.

Back