500 ml starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coppinburgh

Reaction score
So I was gifted a flask for my bday so I can start making yeast starters. Unfortunately I wanted a 2000ml I got a 1000ml. I've received my yeast starter education via YouTube and everyone seems to do it in 2000ml. I'm assuming I just half the DME and water for a smaller vessel? Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The 2000ml is more useful, so I would suggest you pick one up in the future. Very seldom do I ever make a starter under 1000ml.

Starters are easy. It is s simple 10-1 ratio. So for a 1000ml starter you would use 100g of DME. For a 500ml starter you would use 50g of DME.

I like to use Brewers Friend yeast starter calculator. This calculator is handy if the yeast production date is not within a couple of weeks of use. This calculator gives me a better idea of starter size needed based on the estimated number of viable cells on hand.

Starters can also be made in any container that has a flat bottom. Half gallon pickle jars work well. I do not cook the work in the propagation continer.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

According to the growth rate equations used in most calculators, and as long as you're using fresh yeast and a stirplate, you really can use a 1L flask to propagate an adequate amount of cells for proper pitching. The only real problem you may encounter is when a big krausen forms in a 1L flask then you don't have much head room and the concern of it coming out the top. I have used a 0.8L starter size for many brews. One advantage to a smaller (but adequate) starter is that you can pitching the whole thing without affecting the overall beer quality much, if at all. I actually have a 0.5L first-step starter spinning in a 1L flask right now using frozen yeast. Granted, a 2L flask IS more versatile in the long run.

2L certainly seems more useful (and I wish I had a 4L), but if you build yourself a stir plate, even that 1L flask will make very useful starters. (Also, either a stirplate or Fermcap will enable you to nearly fill the flask, which helps.)

I second Brewers Friend for ratios. I purchased a gallon jug from my LHBS and use that. It gives the versatility to be able to make 1, 2, 3, or 4 liter starters. I was able to even use it on a stir plate. Not perfect because it has a somewhat convex bottom but if lined up right it works. The only drawback like flars says is that you can't boil in it. During my boil(in a pan) I sanitize the jug and a piece of foil and after the boil is finished I pour it hot into the jug and cover loosely with the foil and let it cool before pitching.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I wound up trading it in for a 2000ML. Thanks for all the advice guys!

You shouldn't use under a Litre as the growth of the cells won't have a chance to reproduce before the food runs out. So there'll be some cell death. Assuming your starting with 100billion. I also always make the maximum size for my container but use less DME so there is maximum oxygen and less stress on the yeast from alcohol.

Latest posts

Back