5 years in and this is my first Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3toes

Reaction score
After 5 years of brewing I'm attempting my first true pale ale... a good buddy of mine asked if I'd brew him an APA after seeing the Dubbel I did for the wife. Figured it was about time.

Everyone calls him Cojo, so figured I'd incorporate that as best I can. Haven't finalized the exact schedule yet, but hops are: COlumbus, Jester, and Olicana. I've heard that while Columbus is technically dual use, it can be a bit offensive as an aroma addition unless you get it just right. So I'm probably gonna go with:

10 gallon batch
1oz. Columbus 16.2% @60min (29 IBU)
2oz. Jester 7% @15min (12.4 IBU)
2oz. Olicana 6.8% @ flameout

The rest is pretty straight forward:

90% 2-row
5% Munich II
2.5% Wheat
2.5% Crystal 60

My lhbs was out of WLP001, so I'm gonna give WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast a shot. Got my starter going as we speak.

Last edited:
Recipe looks good, but is rather light on for hops - it won't be very hop-forward (in flavour and aroma) but should drink more like an old school APA (bitter and malty with some hop presence). Maybe double the flameout hop and add some dry hops?

After 5 years of brewing I'm attempting my first true pale ale... a good buddy of mine asked if I'd brew him an APA after seeing the Dubbel I did for the wife. Figured it was about time.

Everyone calls him Cojo, so figured I'd incorporate that as best I can. Haven't finalized the exact schedule yet, but hops are: COlumbus, Jester, and Olicana. I've heard that while Columbus is technically dual use, it can be a bit offensive as an aroma addition unless you get it just right. So I'm probably gonna go with:

10 gallon batch
1oz. Columbus 16.2% @60min (29 IBU)
2oz. Jester 7% @15min (12.4 IBU)
2oz. Olicana 6.8% @ flameout

The rest is pretty straight forward:

90% 2-row
5% Munich II
2.5% Wheat
2.5% Crystal 60

My lhbs was out of WLP001, so I'm gonna give WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast a shot. Got my starter going as we speak.

Recipe looks good to me!

Love that San Diego super...it's a monster during fermentation but if memory serves me right takes a little bit to clear.

Recipe looks good, but is rather light on for hops - it won't be very hop-forward (in flavour and aroma) but should drink more like an old school APA (bitter and malty with some hop presence). Maybe double the flameout hop and add some dry hops?

Thank you for this! That's clearly where I'm needing the most guidance... I just don't brew hoppy beers.

There’s hoppy bitter and hoppy flavor. I don’t like bitter beers but I like full flavor beers. I have been missing the flavor by using the traditional early boil additions so I have experimented by adding all my hops later: 15,10,5 min., flameout/whirlpool and at three days in the fermenter. So far I like the results. I end up with ~8 oz in the recipe but the IBU(s) don’t even break ~40 and the flavors pop.

Back