5 or 5.5 gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
From the instructions supplied by my LHBS (for an all extract recipe):

9. While the wort is cooling, sprinkle the dried yeast into 1/2 cup of body temperature water...
10. Pour the cooled wort into the primary fermenter and add cold water to bring the volume up to 5 gallons...

I followed the above instructions (as close as I could) and ended up with a bottled volume of ~4 1/4 gals. So now I'm getting ready to do my second batch, and I'm noticing that most of the experienced brewers here are talking about a volume of 5.5 gals in the fermenter, and most add a starter on top of that of a liter or more. So my question is, if I'm using a recipe based on 5 gallons, and shooting for 5.5 gals in the fermenter, should I increase the amount by 10 or 15 percent of grains/extracts/hops? Or am I just getting way too picky about the stuff? :confused:

It will affect your OG. Let's say you where shooting for an OG of 1.052
adding 1/2 gallon of water would drop your OG to 1.047. Are you going to taste that difference? Probably not. I wouldn't worry about it unless hitting your OG is really important to you. If it is then add 1/2 to 3/4 lb of extract to your boil to compensate.

Sudster said:
It will affect your OG. Let's say you where shooting for an OG of 1.052
adding 1/2 gallon of water would drop your OG to 1.047. Are you going to taste that difference? Probably not. I wouldn't worry about it unless hitting your OG is really important to you. If it is then add 1/2 to 3/4 lb of extract to your boil to compensate.

That's about what I do. Overcompensate your malt for the additional water.

I check gravities along the way and drink the samples for a quick taste test.

In the end you'll end up with 5 gals.

Sudster said:
I wouldn't worry about it unless hitting your OG is really important to you. If it is then add 1/2 to 3/4 lb of extract to your boil to compensate.

I don't think the OG is that important to me...I just wanted to make sure that if I top off to 5.5 gals, I won't end up with weak tasting beer.

homebrewer_99 said:
That's about what I do. Overcompensate your malt for the additional water.

Thanks...think I'm gonna try that. Welcome back by the way...how was Deutchland?

Latest posts

Back