5 gallon starter from bottle sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparginGrain

Reaction score
I just cleared up all of my fermentors before the holidays and am looking to start brewing again in about 2 weeks. I have 50 beers sitting in my apartment after giving just as many away during the holidays. My question is: Can I build up the yeast from the bottom of one of my bottles into a big enough colony to healthily ferment an average 5 gallon batch. They are all the same strain, WYeast American Ale 1056, and I have distinguished which bottles were the 3rd, 2nd, and last to be bottled (I assume I can find the most yeast sediment in the final bottles).

My concern is that from hitting the last batch with the priming sugar (corn sugar) that the yeast will not be as healthy and ready for the fresh maltose of a 5 gallon batch. I guess it is more of an experiment than a money saver. I assume that the yeast from the bottle should be used for a beer of around the same OG, and the starter’s OG should be the same as well.

I make starters with DME, and assume I will have to cold crash, decant, and add fresh “wort” numerous times.

Thoughts?

You can absolutely do this....in fact I cultured up an entire vial's worth (filled to the brim) of La Chouffe yeast from a bottle just this past week :)

Pour your beer into a glass, leaving the last 1/2" or so in the bottom. I'd do this with a few bottles if you plan on drinking a few anyway...just be sure to toss some tinfoil over the neck after you've poured into the glass so no bacteria or wild yeast can fall into the bottle. When you're ready to pour into your starter, swirl the bottle to rouse the yeast, flame the lip of the bottle with a lighter for a few seconds to kill any potential nasties, and voila!

Just as you said, you'll want to step up the starter quite a few times. I started this la chouffe yeast up with 500ml, 1000ml, then 2000ml. This (on a stirplate) was enough to fill a white labs vial almost completely up to the top with yeast. I plan on stepping it up once more prior to pitching into a 5 gallon batch.

Also consider washing yeast from your fermenter for future use... as explained in this thread.

Latest posts

Back