5 Gallon SS Stock Pot.. WTF!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orpheus

Reaction score
I bought a 5 gallon ss stock pot for $39.99. It's a Hamilton Beach and I got it home, opened it up and... WTF!?

There's a warning on it that it is not to be used with high heat??? Is this something where they're covering their asses? Is it ok to use this with my outdoor turkey burner?

I have never heard of anything so bizarre in my life. The reason listed on the warning is that there's an aluminum disc in the bottom that could separate or something.. just seems very odd to put out a huge pot and then say not to use with high heat.:confused:

That does sound a little like an oxy-moron, doesn't it? If I had to guess, I would imagine that they are talking about high heat for cooking, like searing or blackening meats at high temps. I can't imagine that you wouldn't be safe boiling wort over any heat source - it will only get a little above 212F, after all.

Orpheus said:
I bought a 5 gallon ss stock pot for $39.99. It's a Hamilton Beach and I got it home, opened it up and... WTF!?

There's a warning on it that it is not to be used with high heat??? Is this something where they're covering their asses? Is it ok to use this with my outdoor turkey burner?

I have never heard of anything so bizarre in my life. The reason listed on the warning is that there's an aluminum disc in the bottom that could separate or something.. just seems very odd to put out a huge pot and then say not to use with high heat.:confused:

First off...why would they use aluminum? It's horrible at conductivity.

Take it back and get the 22 qt badboy from Wallymart that goes for $45. It rawks.

I too am a walmart 22qt-er It was on clearance so I got it for like $25... Even though it wasn't labeled as such :)

I wouldn't stress on it, Orph. I'm in agreement with GoBrewers and David; don't run it dry, and don't pretend that it's a wok.

Cheesefood said:
First off...why would they use aluminum? It's horrible at conductivity.

Take it back and get the 22 qt badboy from Wallymart that goes for $45. It rawks.

Aluminum conducts heat better than SS I think. My 8 gallon restaurant pot also has aluminum sandwiched between SS layers in the bottom, supposedly to aid heat transfer and prevent hot spots.

My 87 year old dad wrecked a Farberware pot by letting it boil dry. Burned the boiled eggs to carbon, stunk up the house terrible bad. Actually melted the aluminum off the bottom.

Aluminum melts at 1200 degrees? But up to that, it will transmitt the heat all over the pot, that is why they put it on. Prevents burning.

But 5 gallons isn't big enough, you need at least 33 qts to go AG 5 gallons.

Material Thermal conductivity
Copper 401 W/m*K
Aluminum 237 W/m*K
Cast Iron 80 W/m*K
Carbon steel 51 W/m*K
Stainless steel 16 W/m*K

The higher the number, the better at conducting heat.

david_42 said:
High heat, as in letting it boil dry. Just legal CYA.

Yeah, my stock pot also says "Not for Highway Use" and "Caution, contents are hot and can burn your crotch if you spill them while driving and putting on makeup at the same time" in 14 languages no less. :D

evanmars said:
Material Thermal conductivity
Copper 401 W/m*K
Aluminum 237 W/m*K
Cast Iron 80 W/m*K
Carbon steel 51 W/m*K
Stainless steel 16 W/m*K

The higher the number, the better at conducting heat.

I'll go back to shutting up and making jokes from time to time.

My SWMBO let one of our pots boil dry and it melted the aluminum plate in the bottom once. There was a big puddle of metal under the burner! She's pretty though...

:D

Just keep in mind that you can boil water in a paper Dixie cup over an open flame. As long as there is water in the vessel, then there is only about a 5-10 degree difference in external to internal temp of the vessel wall.

I found a 24 quart heavy-duty stainless pan at Sams Club for just under $60 today.

Careful with the aluminum stockpots, I had one melt and what damage it caused!! Ruined our counter-top, vinyl floor and burnt someones foot!

I found a 24 quart heavy-duty stainless pan at Sams Club for just under $60 today.

I was going to pick that one up. But then on my way I stopped by Kmart, cause what the hell I haven't been in one of those in years. Picked up a 32 qt. aluminum pot from K-mart for $29 on sale (normally like $34). Was a tamale steamer. :rockin:

Not SS, but it's pretty tough....

Yeah, my stock pot also says "Not for Highway Use" and "Caution, contents are hot and can burn your crotch if you spill them while driving and putting on makeup at the same time" in 14 languages no less. :D

Just like my wife's curling iron that says (and I kid you not) for external use only. :eek:

Back