• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

North Carolina 5 gallon mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carboywonder

Reaction score

5 gallon converted Igloo cooler mash tun with stainless steel false bottom. This has served me well for the last year, but I just bought a 10 gallon mash tun to make some bigger beers. Excellent condition. I'm asking $45.

I want to get started in AG now that have a garage. What is the limitation with 5 gallon tun?

The limitation is that it can only hold about 13 lbs of grains, give or take depending on your mash thickness. This is fine for the vast majority of beers brewed, but not for bigger beers like barley wines and imp. stouts as they require more grains. That said you can still brew big beers utilizing a 5 gal mash tun, you just need to boost the gravity during the boil with dme or honey or whatnot or brew a smaller batch.

Not to hijack your posting but I started with one of these 5 gallon coolers and was able to do barley wine and imperial beers by mashing the extra grain on my stove top with the brew in a bag method. You can buy three 5 gallon paint strainer bags for less than $5 and mash the extra grain on the stove top very easily.

I wish I would have kept this simple system because I would have very little head space in my 5 gallon cooler which helped it maintain temperture very well for 5 gallon size brews. The fact that this comes with a false bottom for this price makes this a great deal.

Back