5 gal boil vs. 2.5 gal boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll also have more wort carmelization in the 2.5 gal vs the 5.0, leading to a darker beer. Something to consider if you need to make a beer with a specific light color, if not then who cares as long as it takes good

rdwj said:
better tasting beer, better hop utilization
You get better hop utilization by brewing with less water and malt.

As for carmelization, I only brew 1.5 gals of water and 1 lb of malt. At 45 mins I add the remaining malt and pasteurize it for 15 mins. Pour it into the primary and top off to 5.25 gals with water I placed in the freezer 4-5 hours prior. It gets cooled off to below 70F in 2-3 mins.:D

...and the debate continues...;)

homebrewer_99 said:
You get better hop utilization by brewing with less water and malt.

As for carmelization, I only brew 1.5 gals of water and 1 lb of malt. At 45 mins I add the remaining malt and pasteurize it for 15 mins. Pour it into the primary and top off to 5.25 gals with water I placed in the freezer 4-5 hours prior. It gets cooled off to below 70F in 2-3 mins.:D

...and the debate continues...;)
I believe you get better hop utilization with more water. That is why you use less hops for bittering in 5 gals than in 2.5 gal..........

Back