5 gal batch of IPA. HOW long start to drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBUDGO

Reaction score
roughly. Of course. I realize there are numerous variables.
My wife just said you should have a batch for the July 4 party!
Hmmm can I? I thought. Do I have to get put of bed right now, I thought?

Then I remembered. You guys will know.

Thanks

If you ask me, my answer is: You are cutting it close but yes you can have an IPA ready for July 4th if you brew today or tomorrow. I'm factoring in 1 to 2 weeks for fermentation and 2 to 3 weeks of bottling (whatever combo gives you 4 weeks).

Your beer just won't be as tasty as it could be with another few weeks of aging to allow the flavors to mellow. I personally ferment my IPAs for two weeks and then either bottle/wait a month minimum or keg and allow carbonation to happen over the course of a week.

Yeah, I think it's possible.

You've got four weeks. Three for fermentation, one for carbing unless you keg it.

But as CBUDGO said, you need to get cracking.

i think a month is perfect for an IPA. you want it fresh.
Ferment for a week on the cooler side if u can control it, then days 8-12 let it go to room temp to finish/clean up and dry hop. then crash cool for a day or 2, bottle.
shoot for 1.060 OG. 1.01-1.012 FG

Kegging? Easy. Bottling, yes but to make it good you need to do things nearly perfectly. Pitch plenty of yeast. Start your ferment nearly at the bottom end of the yeast's preferred range. On about day 3 or 4, start warming it up to room temp so the yeast finish quickly. On day 8 take your first hydro sample. On day 10 take the second. If they match, you can bottle. By bottling so soon you will have more yeast cake in the bottles but that will give your beer time to carbonate and start to mature. 24 to 36 hours before you plan to drink it, get that beer in the refrigerator to chill and drop more yeast. Best of luck, if your yeast doesn't work as fast as it should you may have to wait another day or 2 to bottle. Don't bottle if the hydrometer samples show any changes or you will have beer that is overcarbonated or possibly bottle bombs.

Cutting it close but doable! Let it ferment a week start temps low then ramp them up. Start of week two dry hop. End of week two take gravity readings. I probably would not cold crash it. My experience it would add an addition week to bottle condition, so dry hop in a bag. Finally two weeks to condition at room temp. Should be good to go.

I'd rather not rush a batch just to say it's mine. The gang knows I brew and they all like my stuff. They'll have to wait for the end if summer bash. That works for me.

Cheers

People have reported good luck with only dry hopping for 3 to 5 days. That could cut the time needed by a bit. I'd probably dry hop on day 7 when the ferment has slowed enough that the outgassing of CO2 wouldn't carry all the aroma away.

Kegging? Easy. Bottling, yes but to make it good you need to do things nearly perfectly. Pitch plenty of yeast. Start your ferment nearly at the bottom end of the yeast's preferred range. On about day 3 or 4, start warming it up to room temp so the yeast finish quickly. On day 8 take your first hydro sample. On day 10 take the second. If they match, you can bottle. By bottling so soon you will have more yeast cake in the bottles but that will give your beer time to carbonate and start to mature. 24 to 36 hours before you plan to drink it, get that beer in the refrigerator to chill and drop more yeast. Best of luck, if your yeast doesn't work as fast as it should you may have to wait another day or 2 to bottle. Don't bottle if the hydrometer samples show any changes or you will have beer that is overcarbonated or possibly bottle bombs.

I bottle.
Having a large yeast cake on the bottom of each bottle really sucks and ruins the flavor and enjoyment.
I would never bottle that IPA without cold crashing first, especially if you aren't giving it a few weeks to settle on it's own.

You don't need a large yeast cake to carbonate either, I get 1 week carbonation with a small layer of yeast in the bottles.

I'm still a beginner at this but I've cracked a few beers open after less then a week of bottling. I will say that the flavor and carbonation gets much better as it ages but after a week of carbonation, it's OK to drink, not at its best, but it will still taste better than most anything u buy off the shelf. If you are that pressed for time than pay close attention to the fermentation and when you notice it stop then bottle, this might give you a day or 2 extra. I actually have one in the fermenter now that I plan to crack open on the 4th. FYI, I haven't brewed an IPA as of yet.

I turn all of my IPA's around in three or four weeks, and usually drink the whole batch in 2. Get in in the bottle sooner, and it will definitely taste better come drinking time.

Latest posts

Back