425 Vs. 525

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guildenstern

Reaction score
I'm looking to get some taps for a party and eventualy my keg fridge if I ever get the nerve to drill a hole in it. I Know the perlick is the way to go but I'm not sure if I should get the 425 or the 525.

I know the 525 has the nice new mechanisim, but I wonder if the removeable spout might be better for my use. I typicaly hit my Kegs once mabey twice every two days or so. I know the Perlick seals from the front so that minimizes beer residue. But with this use should I go for the 425's so I can tae the spout off and wash it? or is it not really a big deal with the 525 if it sists for up to a week without being used?

I think you'll be fine either way. The new 525's are less expensive and the forward sealing is what enables you to go without washing. That's what I have and love them - never had any problems after days of no use (which doesn't happen very often). But I'm no expert on the subject, just my .02.

I think its more of a form over function kinda thing along with personal preference. Go with what you like and looks good to you.

Once they seal, any beer left in the Perlick spout should drain away before it has a chance to dry and get sticky. Unlike a traditional faucet where there are nooks and crannies for the beer to sit and dry out, the Perlick should drain freely. Shouldn't have to worry at all about cleaning the spout any more than your normal cleaning of lines and such. My two pennies worth.

The 525's are a fundamental shift from the 425's in terms of parts. However, both cut off bad stuff growth at the seal.

As long as you clean them with your normal line cleaning routine, there shouldn't be a problem with the 525's. In fact, your faucet brush can reach in and clean it all the same.

When you change kegs, you can pull the faucet off and let it soak in some hot PBW, rinse and put back on. Alternatively, spray some starsan up in the faucet every now and then. Use RO water to make the starsan though.

one guy i know sprays the inside of his perlick spouts with his starsan spray bottle after the last pint of the day is drawn from it.

Wow alot of you guys clean your spout alot. When kicking a keg, I run oxiclean through the line out the spout, then hot water, then startsan then the next keg. Never dissasembled faucets or line. Only had them on about 3 kegs each though :(

When you change kegs, you can pull the faucet off and let it soak in some hot PBW, rinse and put back on. Alternatively, spray some starsan up in the faucet every now and then. Use RO water to make the starsan though.

Sorry this is slightly off topic but why RO water?

Back