4 packs of 16 ounce versus 6 packs of 12 ounce

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corkybstewart

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How many of you prefer one over the other? I'm not a fan of paying more for 4 cans and getting less beer, but some of my favorite beers only come in the 4 pack format. For instance I can buy a sixer of Santa Fe Happy Camper for $8 or a 4 pack of La Cumbre Elevated IPA for $10. Both are great beer but I rarely buy the La Cumbre.

Everything else being equal, I'd take the smaller form factor.

Was at Toppling Goliath this summer and my wife was taken with their Breakfast Latte coffee beer they had. Really good. So I walked over to the cooler to see if I could take a sixer home, and all they had was the 4 pack of 16 ounces.

Well, I bought one, got it home, and we opened one up. I realized all I really wanted was about 4 ounces, she wanted even less. What am I supposed to do with what's left?

IMO, the only reason for 16-ounce cans is for those who want to pound a lot of beer in a hurry, as cheaply as possible. For me, I can always open up another 12-ounce can or bottle if I want more, but what happens if I don't want 16 ounces?

Gotta say, a nearby brewer to me does 6 x 16oz. Typically priced at $11 - 13 depending on the brew...
That hugely tips me toward buying them over a 4 x 16 from some other local brewers that sell for $12 -13...
the beer in the 4 pack is usually very good but typically some IIIIIPA that to me isn't worth nearly 40% more money...
I will pay more for the 4 pack of Old Rasputin (12oz bottles, usually $10...a great deal imho)...

IMO, the only reason for 16-ounce cans is for those who want to pound a lot of beer in a hurry, as cheaply as possible.

There are 16 oz cans of cheap beer but I don't think that is what the OP is asking about. The reason for the 16 oz 4 packs is the brewer makes more money. It seems to be a matter of what the market will bear. I see more and more beer going into cans instead of bottles and the four pack of larger cans is leading the charge from the smaller producers. I prefer the 12 oz bottles, than 12 oz cans. I'm not happy paying $12-20 for a four pack of pints no matter the reputation of the brewer. It is still cheaper than buying those higher end beers at the brewery. Some of those NEIPAs are expensive to produce. If I was a pro brewer I would sell my product for as much as the market would pay. As a consumer I prefer to make my own. Its cheaper you know.;)

I think the trend towards 16 oz cans is driven by two things: 1) Less expensive packaging for the brewery, and 2) the idea that the consumer gets a full pint in the can. If I have the 16 oz cans, I never drink directly from the can. I'll pour it into a glass. And, there's nothing quite so noticeable as a pour that comes up short in a pint glass. I think it is more satisfying to me to see a full pint glass come out of whatever package the beer comes in.

That's one of the reasons, the 22 oz bomber never made sense to me... If you drink it yourself, you've got 6 oz of leftover beer that you need to put back in the fridge, and it gets a little flatter, but if you share it, you both get less than 12 oz in your glass.

There are 16 oz cans of cheap beer but I don't think that is what the OP is asking about.
My brother's favorite beer was 16 oz cans of Busch Light because he was a severe alcoholic who hid cans in the shrubbery at my parents house. He could open one, drink it and throw the can in the bushes in a matter of seconds. You are right, that's not what I'm talking about. I see the prices of these four packs and they border on ridiculous. I was never a bomber fan, they are an even bigger ripoff. It's all about profits, I understand it's cheaper to can 16 oz's-even the plastic can holders are cheaper when they use 4 instead of 6, but I rarely buy the 4 packs even when I really love the beer.

All the beers I like come in 4 packs, ymmv. I'm all for the 6 pack please direct me to the 6 pack that tastes like king Sue or juicy bits. I buy what I like and don't let money decide for me. That said I don't buy $20 and up bombers because I would rather drink wine at that price. Four 16 oz cans equals 5 12 oz cans. I decided a couple bucks more and a can less was worth it to get what I wanted. Never tasting all these great beers to save a couple bucks and one can wasn't worth it considering I wouldn't have any qualms about going to dinner and buying a $6 pint. Beers are $10 at basketball games and I buy them when i go. I rationalized it a million ways but the bottom line is it's worth it to me to get the better beer.

Last edited:
I have never bought a 4 pack. They are almost always very expensive. I think they are specialized beers (mostly) that are supposed to be special, but I cannot say.

I also don't prefer the bigger beers because they are too warm by the time I get to the bottom.

I rarely buy beer; I mostly drink what I brew. When we’re at the city house, and I don’t have the opportunity to brew as often, I’ll buy a variety box of 12 or 15 beers. These are all 12 oz cans or bottles and are pretty reasonably priced ($12-15).

As one of the resident iconoclasts here, I should probably point out that the beers which are packaged as 4-16s are, essentially, hipster beers which are marketed towards people who aren’t self-aware enough to realize that they’re acting like hipsters. :cool:

There are 16 oz cans of cheap beer but I don't think that is what the OP is asking about. The reason for the 16 oz 4 packs is the brewer makes more money. It seems to be a matter of what the market will bear. I see more and more beer going into cans instead of bottles and the four pack of larger cans is leading the charge from the smaller producers. I prefer the 12 oz bottles, than 12 oz cans. I'm not happy paying $12-20 for a four pack of pints no matter the reputation of the brewer. It is still cheaper than buying those higher end beers at the brewery. Some of those NEIPAs are expensive to produce. If I was a pro brewer I would sell my product for as much as the market would pay. As a consumer I prefer to make my own. Its cheaper you know.;)
The bolded is the reason. The 16 oz cans look cool but I doubt any consumer prefers getting 64 ounces instead of 72 ounces. But many of the higher end craft beer makers only use that format so you're stuck paying $15-20 for a 4 pack if you want their beer in cans. I remember someone asked a brewer that one time on one of the FB craft beer groups I'm in and they said they did the 16 oz cans(vs 12 oz) because they wanted to get more beer to the consumer. I was sitting there like, either you're awful at math or you think we're really stupid.

4 pack of 16oz is only 8oz less than a 6 pack of 12oz...in my mind I don't mind paying more for the 4 pack if its a beer I think Id enjoy more than whats being offered in 6 pack/12oz format at the craft beer store. Whats even more confusing is that Im seeing 4 packs of 12oz cans now for an even $10-11 at the craft beer store which further complicates things. Even the craft beer store workers are like, yeah these differing sizes are difficult to nail down a price point that will sell. While marketing and profits certainly drive this, even at $20 for a 4 pack of 16oz cans which equates to $5 per 16 oz can, that still cheaper than getting 10oz of the same exact beer on tap for $6 at the craft beer store that sells pints or bar. Certainly beats bar prices too for similar type beers. So Im inclined to pay for the beer, even $20 for a 16oz 4 pack that I can bring home, sip on, and relax with. For me, I'll pay the extra $$$ for a beer that I think is (or could be) high quality and also supporting local breweries. Certainly beats bar prices too for similar type beers. FYI, since I don't hang out at bars anyways, Id rather drink what I want at home even if it means paying $$$ close to bar prices. SO for me, it comes down to wanting to pay $$$ for quality over quantity anyways. Sometimes the high prices are definitely not justified, sometimes they are.

I'm not particularly crazy about the 16 ounce cans because of the simple fact that when I pour a pint glass there's some left in the can. I end up standing at the counter and quickly drinking a few ounces so that I can fit it in, letting it sit there on the counter warming up, or putting it in the fridge and promptly forgetting about it.

But pretty much I buy whatever beer sounds good and live with the container it comes in.

Lots of what-if's in my beer buying logic, but a 16oz can is 2 nice 8oz pours for my wife and I with dinner. Two 6oz pours seems a little light, but I don't always want 12. Also depends on if its a big beer. This time of year I'm pouring 8-9% or more. Ask me again in summer when im pouring 5% ales.

Mostly though, it depends on what I want. I don't nickle and dime for the best value per oz or we would be drinking bmc. I buy what I like, what I want to try or something on promo just because I've never tried it before.

Lots of what-if's in my beer buying logic, but a 16oz can is 2 nice 8oz pours for my wife and I with dinner.
This is one thing I do like about the pint cans. Can split between my wife and I(when it's the kind she likes) and still a good serving size for each of us. Although I could easily crush the whole thing

I could go either way, but I think I might slightly lean to liking the 12oz more, especially if its a really strong beer. I have 11oz snifters I pour my beer in, so I don't have the 12 oz in a pint glass issue.

16's get your booze on faster. They go down faster. Do you feel guilty about drinking a four-pack? Nah. A six-pack? Maybe. That extra 8 oz can be on the evil side sometimes. Easy to carry a four pack. The first one is usually gone before you leave going wherever you are going. Easy to split too. Two for you, two for me. Next style.

Price is a little jacked up though.

I think the trend towards 16 oz cans is driven by two things: 1) Less expensive packaging for the brewery, and 2) the idea that the consumer gets a full pint in the can.
Nope, you're wrong, its all about the bottom line, and the 16 oz 4 pack is just a way to sell less beer for more money. There's very little indication that competition is driving prices down, even though we have something like 7,000+ breweries on the US now.
As long as drinkers are willing to pay high prices, why shouldn't breweries make as much profit as they can?
I occasionally buy the high priced 4-packs, but the beer better be pretty darn good. I've been drinking my own brews as much as possible lately.

Nope, you're wrong, its all about the bottom line, and the 16 oz 4 pack is just a way to sell less beer for more money. There's very little indication that competition is driving prices down, even though we have something like 7,000+ breweries on the US now.
As long as drinkers are willing to pay high prices, why shouldn't breweries make as much profit as they can?
I occasionally buy the high priced 4-packs, but the beer better be pretty darn good. I've been drinking my own brews as much as possible lately.
I havent found less beer for more money. I have found better beer for more money. Some duds in there to. I choose wisely. My friend and I have discussed this quite thoroughly. It was obvious that he had no experience about the beers we were discussing. Eventually he tried a few and buys some here and there. I realized for me, drinking beer is a hobby. Go figure right. But it is. I like beer, I like drinking it, and I like all different kinds. Its not about saving money or getting the best deal. I work my a.. off all week and friday comes and I want to have something special. I am sure everyone here has their own hobbies where they spend money. I have a goodwill bike I tool around on. I am not judging others for wanting the best italian frames or whatever. Whatever you choose don't kid yourself, a lot of these higher end beers are stellar and worth every penny, worth it for you is the question. Their quality isn't.

I think his point is that if these breweries had to use a 6 pack/12 oz format you might get more beer for the money(from that brewery). The prices of 4 pack pints can get so outrageous, although like you I sometimes pay it because I love great beer. A lot of people equate 4 pack of pints to being equivalent to a 6 pack of 12s, but they aren't equivalent. As noted the 4 packs are 8 oz short on beer for people who are math inclined.

These breweries are 100% doing it to maximize profits. At some point these guys realized that the elasticity of demand had dropped way off with the craft beer boom and they could charge almost whatever they wanted. Besides selling 8 oz less of beer for a packaging format people deem equivalent to 6 packs, it may also be more efficient on the canning line.

There is also alot of really good craft beer sold in 6 packs. My problem is lately I've been into the hazy IPA stuff and most of that seems to be in pint format, except for some of the nationally distributed brands.

I havent found less beer for more money. I have found better beer for more money. Some duds in there to.
Some of the best commercial beers I've ever had came as a 16 oz 4-pack.
But I still believe the ONLY reason breweries choose that format is to produce the highest possible profits.

1588198079866.png

Another one I really don't understand is why it's cheaper to buy a six pack than a growler or 3 - 22oz bottles. Case in point, a local brewery sells a six pack (72oz) of their scotch ale for $8.99. If you take a growler (64oz) in and get it filled it is $10.50 and 3 - 22oz bottles (66oz) @$3.95/bottle would be $11.85. No brainer!

Dewey

Shelf space in a store might be a component in the equation.

Two six packs - twelve beers equate to two sales, two customers get a carrier each, where three four packs also twelve beers occupy the same shelf space and could equate to three sales, with one carrier to each customer, thus justifying the statement that it gets beer to more people.

I know that if I head to the store and have a particular beer in mind that I want to buy and get there and there isn't any on the shelf, it's bummer they are out of that, what do I want to settle for.

With thirteen taps at my house, if I am buying beer, I want something really special, so cost really isn't an issue. I have a collection of beers that I have bought and typically open them up on special occasions. Also if I have friends that are traveling to a location that I know that it is a regional beer, I'll ask them to bring me some back if it is practical. I live in Alabama and enjoy Jolly Pumpkin and have had a couple of friends bring back several bottles of if for me. I'll always reimburse them if they will let me and send them home with some of my beer as well. I just regret not driving the two hours to Russian River Brewery when I was working in California and shipping a variety box home.

Back