4 days, no activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
I brewed up some of the Lake Walk Pale Ale.

Everything went really well, no issues during the brew day.
I pitched S-33 (dry yeast) and have had no activity after 3 days.

I pulled the lid of the bucket and there was no sign of the yeast working at all.
What I did see was what looked like the dry yeast floating on top of the wort.

I gently stirred it back up, and waited overnight.

Today, nothing.....I am proofing some more yeast, and will try that.

Any Ideas of what may have went wrong. I pitched somewhere between 60-65f, and did not proof the first round of yeast.

Tim

Started out at .048, not sure what it is now....
let me check.....brb

Tim

Ok...well looks like I had a very mild ferment going on. We are at 1.020 right now looking for a 1.010-15 final.

Will re-pitching help? I hope so, because I have already jumped the gun and proofed the yeast.

Tim

Also, it is super cloudy now, and the sample I pulled before I pitched was really clear.

Tim

Will re-pitching help? I hope so, because I have already jumped the gun and proofed the yeast.

Help what?
Your beer is fermenting according to your hydrometer.
Why would you pitch more yeast into a beer that is fermenting?

My guess is that you have a leak somewhere on your bucket and the CO2 from fermentation was escaping without bubbling your airlock.
Wait a week and take another reading if you must.
If it were me, I'd wait 3 weeks then bottle.

I feel what you are saying, this is the most jacked up fermentation I have ever had. there was never any Krausen, nothing on the top of the wort but what looks like little yeast "seeds". I guess it is too early to tell if it is stuck at 020....just worried

going to the fridge, following the mantra: RDWHAHB

Tim

It's cloudy because you stirred it up, I think.

Now, it just needs some time to finish up. I'd leave it for at least another 7 days before doing anything else. Let it finish, and let it settle. It'll clear up again.

I would HIGHLY recommend using a starter for any brew, but especially dry yeast. I would explain how, but just search the forums for it. It will cut your lag time from days to hours, seriously.

I would HIGHLY recommend using a starter for any brew, but especially dry yeast. I would explain how, but just search the forums for it. It will cut your lag time from days to hours, seriously.

I feel almost exactly the opposite- I think you should never, ever, make a starter with dry yeast. If you need a higher cell count, pitch two packages.

You should always make a starter with liquid yeast, though, in my opinion. Even for fairly low OG beers, you want to ensure a high enough cell count.

Heck, next time just use Nottingham, and forget about a starter. Notty will blow the lid off of your fermenter within 24 hours of pitching.

The other day, I pitched 2tbsp of a Notty yeast cake from a previous fermentation, and within 5 hours of pitching, I had a violent airlock bubble and serious high krausen. At hour 48, the airlock was done bubbling. Now, three days later, the yeasties are still in there, gettin' it done - primarily cleaning up after themselves, given the fast & furious activity of the first day.

Relax, man. You probably just missed the krausen.

Thanks for all the help. I roused the yeast again today, and will let it set for a week or so.
I am out of dry yeast, and have a hard time getting liquid shipped in, in good condition. I will place an order for some more dry later this week, and if I get stuck at 020, then I will think about re-pitching or something.

I have never had a issue with my dry yeast before, not sure what happened this time.

...just remembered, I do have a pack of Notty....but saving it for my Porter.

Tim

Yeah, nottingham is wicked stuff. Made a 10g batch using it and a 2l starter, had to change from airlocks to blow offs in about 10 hours of pitching. Had about 1.5-2 g of headspace in the carboys as well!

ok, i think it is official....

I have a stuck fermentation.
Checked today and it is stalled at 1.020.

Not sure where to go from here.....

Thought about transferring it to a secondary, to see if that wold restart the yeast...
other than that, I am at a loss

Tim

Tim

When I was doing extract batches, I had more than a few that I couldn't get below 1.020, especially if it had crystal in it, too. If it still hasn't budged in two weeks, I'd consider it done and bottle it up.

To be certain, what was your technique/temperatures?

1.020 seems to be a magic number that some brew just stop at. it may have to do with mash temp or the temp at which you pitched the yeast. check with the scientific dudes for the super-complicated answer. how about ramping up 4-5 degrees for a week?sometimes that will unstick a 1.020.

When I was doing extract batches, I had more than a few that I couldn't get below 1.020, especially if it had crystal in it, too. If it still hasn't budged in two weeks, I'd consider it done and bottle it up.

To be certain, what was your technique/temperatures?

I do not have the numbers in front of me at work but the mash temp was 154 and the pitch temp was mid 60's It was the first time I used an IC and the temp got a little lower than I wanted.

Tim

I do not have the numbers in front of me at work but the mash temp was 154 and the pitch temp was mid 60's It was the first time I used an IC and the temp got a little lower than I wanted.

Tim

How long has it been at 1.020? It may very well be finished, especially if your mash temp creeped up higher than 154. I didn't have an accurate thermometer for a while, and all of my beers were finishing way too low- like 1.006 and 1.007 when I wanted them in the 1.012 area. An accurate thermometer helped me to be able to predict the FG better. I still have some overattenuation issues, so I mash most of my beers at 153-154 if I want them to finish at 1.012-1.014 but it's not out of the realm of possibility that your beer is simply done at 1.020, especially if you used any extract.

No extract all grain

9 lb 2 row
1/4 wheat
1/4 crystal 40

I pitched on the 16th. I am inclined to call it done. I will transfer to the secondary as time and work permit.

thanks for all the help.

Tim

No extract all grain

9 lb 2 row
1/4 wheat
1/4 crystal 40

I pitched on the 16th. I am inclined to call it done. I will transfer to the secondary as time and work permit.

thanks for all the help.

Tim

Well, just by looking at the recipe, and the mash schedule, it definitely should have finished lower than it did. Are you sure your thermometer was accurate, and you mashed no higher than 154?

I'd wait until the 30th, and then call it done. It should be given at least two weeks before calling it finished. After that, I'd go ahead and rack and let it clear up a bit. That beer is dryhopped, too, right? The hoppiness will help cover any extra residual sweetness.

ok, i think it is official....

I have a stuck fermentation.
Checked today and it is stalled at 1.020.

Not sure where to go from here.....

Thought about transferring it to a secondary, to see if that wold restart the yeast...
other than that, I am at a loss

Tim

Tim

How well was the wort aerated prior to pitching?

Back