3x Belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20000Barrels

Reaction score
I brewed a 3x Belgian strong ale. I bottled 3 weeks ago and tried one last night and it was on the sweet side. This batch should have had a yeast started.
Anyways, will the sweetness go away in the bottles over time? If yes how long?

Thanks

What was your OG and FG? I am just wondering if you finished pretty high - easy to get under attenuation on big Belgians if you don't take care of the yeast (pitch enough, oxygenate, temp control).
If that's the case I don't think that's going to go away.

It was suppose to finish at 10% alcohol but it is more around 7%
I did not take notes when I brewed in early Nov.

There you go then. Lots of unfermented sugars in the final product.
Illustrates the importance of taking good notes so you can troubleshoot. For next time I'd suggest using MrMalty or another calculator to make sure you pitch enough yeast. Also oxygenate well. If you have some simple sugars in the recipe like Belgian candi you can add that to the primary fermenter after a few days rather than with the boil to help the yeast too. Mashing lower will also make a more fermentable wort if you're doing all grain or partial mash.

At least it's beer, right?!
:mug:

WILLIAM'S BELGIAN DARK STRONG @ Williams Brewing

I usually take the reading and if they are in the ball park then I am good to go.

You guys makes some good points about really documenting the process. Now that I am trying intermediate kits I need to get a bit more serious.

In this kit I did feel like the instructions should of suggested a yeast starter. This has a a lot of sugar in it.

You absolutely need a starter with a 1.090 beer - I agree they should have suggested it to you. Now you know for next time. Extract beers can also finish higher than all grain, I've not done an extract Belgian before so no experience with that type of extract.

If you only got 7% abv with a 1.090 beer, then it is going to be really sweet. The FG would be around 1.035 (or higher).

Keep the bottles in plastic buckets and drink quickly. That beer is not finished, and the yeast will keep slowly working on the sugars. Those bottles are potentially going to be grenades.

What yeast did you use? My guess is the yeast stalled because you had it too cold for the yeast. If it warms up again, those yeast will get back to work.

If you only got 7% abv with a 1.090 beer, then it is going to be really sweet. The FG would be around 1.035 (or higher).

Keep the bottles in plastic buckets and drink quickly. That beer is not finished, and the yeast will keep slowly working on the sugars. Those bottles are potentially going to be grenades.

What yeast did you use? My guess is the yeast stalled because you had it too cold for the yeast. If it warms up again, those yeast will get back to work.

I have not chilled the bottles yet. I bottled in 22 oz.

How long can I keep them in those bottles until they are over carbonated?

I used a wyeast pack.

6 weeks total and they have been in bottles for 3 weeks. Temp in brew room is around 68-70 degrees.
The bottles are showing carbonation but the 12 oz tester was only slightly carbed up.

Latest posts

Back