3V Propane to Electric Conversion - Lost down the Rabbit Holes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer:30

Chief Bottle Washer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 3 vessel system with 25 gallon pots. When I was brewing two years ago before my move I had just installed a HERMS coil through the lid of my HLT and was working on trying to dial in my process. Back then I brewed propane on the back deck.
In the new house I will be brewing indoors, so after learning about Bobby's Steam Slayer and the like, I'm on board with electric.
So my initial thoughts are to install Bobby's TC elements in the HLT and Kettle. I'm hoping that one TC 5500W will work for each vessel!?!
But when it comes to controlling the elements, my head spins reading all these threads and different builds. I've gotten some great feedback from Bobby regarding panels that utilize EZ Boils. I have also really liked what seems like simplicity in the Brew Commander touch screen system. Not even sure if the Brew Commander and a boil controller would make for a simple brew day.But I haven't seem much online about people using these for 3V HERMS.
I'm looking for an off the shelf control system that is easy to use and doesn't break the bank. On brew days I typically brew two back to back batches, so heating the strike water of batch 2 while the BK is on is a must. The new space has an electric stove, and will support a 50 amp breaker. I could build a panel if it comes with an idiot proof step by step guide, but I haven't soldered, and I'm typically short on time, but if it's a large savings and straightforward I'll do it.
Any input would be appreciated, I feel a bit overwhelmed with all the options.

Last edited:
I can only offer what I would do, hopefully it might help. I would think about brewing and or partigyling 20 or 30 gallons at a time, fv, biab. An eye hook in ceiling if possible and ratchet up my bags, easy peasy.

I would and did get a heat stick from Bobby and this off the shelf ready to go auber controller and done. Or I would put one element in each and just switch plugs with the controller. And away you go! Around 500 out the door, delivered, all perfect and ready to go. Nothing to build, brewing right away and on demand, small footprint. Thats what I did, granted I seem to be outside the box on everything. I have seen others happy with similar setups. For really inexpensive and some patience you can build a system dirt cheap. Cheers.
Screenshot_20191027-094056_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg
Screenshot_20191027-094036_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg
Screenshot_20191027-093948.jpeg

Latest posts

Back