3rd Batch, this way - or that

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wherestheyeast

Reaction score
I received the Lawnmower de Saison kit (extract with specialty grains) from Midwest Brewing Supply today and am looking for some guidance on technique. I would like to create a pretty clear, clean beer. So:

Has anyone tried this beer?
Should I use Irish moss?
Full boil or partial with top off?
How about late extract addition?
What temp should I pitch? How about ferment? I'm using the "White labs vial" yeast option.
How long to ferment (I understand that secondary racking isn't necessary)?
Do I need to use a yeast starter?

Also: I might not be able to brew until next week sometime, is this a concern?

Thanks

-W.T.Y

In order:

No.
Yes.
Full.
No.
70 degrees for both.
About 2-3 weeks.
Yes - a 1 liter starter - day before brew day: boil 100 grams of DME in 1 liter of water for about 10 minutes, cool, pitch yeast vial into cleaned/sanitized container with starter wort, cover loosely with aluminum foil, swirl vigorously every time you walk by it, just toss the whole thing in to your wort when it comes time to pitch your yeast.

I think of it the same way as I would a loaf of bread - stored in a cool, dry place, it can last for a week or two. Storing it cool will help increase the shelf life.

If you use a 3274 yeast in this kit will it bring the ABV up and make it closer to a saison's dry spicy flavor or do you have to use a new recipe all together?

I'd say pitch at 64-65F. Let the temp rise naturally, but try to keep in under 70-72F for the first three days. Then let its temp go unchecked until fermentation has completed. If you can get it's temp up into the low 80's it will really help dry it out. I'm not sure how long fermentation will take, but it should be 75% completed within 5-7 days. Sometimes the last 25% takes as longer than the first 75%, so be patient. Take gravity readings periodically and don't rely on airlock activity as an indicator of fermentation activity.

And no secondary is needed.

I bottled this last Sunday after about 2.5 weeks in primary. I used the WL400 yeast option, pitched at ~68F *TRIED* to keep below 72F during the first few days. Ended up letting it go and it reached ~76F (all according to stick on 'fermometer').

I made a 1/4 gallon starter in a sanitized growler & fermentation took off rather quickly and seemed to stay active for 7-10 days. I did swirl the carboy about every other day after that (suggestion from White Labs website comments regarding this yeast).

OG = 1.057
FG = 1.012

Tasted pretty dry at bottling, but not much spiciness.

Can't wait to open a bottle in a couple weeks!

I have the same kit going right now, but I used the WLP565 Saison I yeast since a friend of mine just gave me a vial of it he wasn't going to be able to use.

My OG was around 1.056 and I was beginning to get concerned about everyone saying how bad this yeast stalls out. I took a gravity reading after 10 days and its at 1.006, so way lower than the recipe specified. I've been letting it ferment at high temps. Pitched yeast at 60F, then let it free rise to 75F, then moved it to a warmer spot where it has been 77F+ ever since.

I'll try to keep you posted to see if there is a noticeable taste profile difference from using the Saison yeast vs what the kit came with.

I have the same kit going right now, but I used the WLP565 Saison I yeast since a friend of mine just gave me a vial of it he wasn't going to be able to use.

My OG was around 1.056 and I was beginning to get concerned about everyone saying how bad this yeast stalls out. I took a gravity reading after 10 days and its at 1.006, so way lower than the recipe specified. I've been letting it ferment at high temps. Pitched yeast at 60F, then let it free rise to 75F, then moved it to a warmer spot where it has been 77F+ ever since.

I'll try to keep you posted to see if there is a noticeable taste profile difference from using the Saison yeast vs what the kit came with.

How did this one turn out for you? I've mine bottle conditioning for ~2 months (I drank about 1/3 of the batch along the way), and it is my best brew so far. It took well over 3 weeks to get there, but man its good; not very spicy though, maybe the yeast had something to do with that. How'd the Saison yeast work?

It is one of the best beers I've brewed to date! I left mine in the fermenter for about a month before bottling. After a month in bottles it tasted good, but after 6 weeks in bottles it was amazing. It reminds me of Saison du Pont. I don't get a lot of peppery notes, but it has a really nice dry finish.

I did get the ABV up to ~6.7% which I believe I can thank the Saison yeast for finishing it up like that, but now I'm curious as to what it would taste like with the yeast its supposed to come with.

Back