3rd Batch, missed the aroma hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tasimm

Reaction score
First post y'all.

My third batch is currently in primary. It's an IPA. Probably a bit big, but I am from SoCal, that's how we roll :rockin:. Anyway, I missed the aroma hop (too many HB's), so I'm wondering exactly how to handle this. Do I just go with the simple dry hop, or should I double dry hop? I don't have the whole receipe as I am at work, but I can tell you the original plan was 2 oz. Magnum (pellet) and 1.5 oz. Centennial (pellet) and .5 oz. Centennial for the aroma hop.

Thanks for the help.

Travis

Wow...2oz of Magnum is a lot of IBUs!! I use 1 oz in my APA, and some of my friends find it overly bitter. (They're crazy, it's perfect!!) Still, big hoppy IPAs are certainly all the rage right now, and with the right grain bill it could work out well.

I wouldn't hesitate to dry hop in the secondary with a whole oz of Centennial, it shouldn't up the bitterness much or at all.

Where in SoCal are you?

I'd recommend making a tea with some Centennial and also dryhopping later. Just pour a quart of boiling water over the hops and let them steep for five minutes, then dump the whole mess in the fermenter. The aroma profile is different from what you'd get with dryhopping alone.

I missed an aroma add on an IPA & adding a tea made a big difference, even after dryhopping.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll try the tea thing. This one should be uber hoppy.

Thanks for the help guys. Turns out I decided to do nothing and see what happens. Turned out fan-freaking-tastic. RDWHAHB definatly applies here. Thanks for the support, I'm scoping out my next brew and I'm sure I'll go colonic over it at some point, but then RDWHAHB right?

Back