3lbs rye, 9 lbs barley, BIAB, too sticky?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricScott

Reaction score
Say 3.5 gallons strike water in a 7.5 gallon pot. Will this be too sticky to work with?

Thanks much!

1.16 qt/lb is pretty thick for BIAB. You could try it, but I would definitely sparge. If you can fit more strike water, you should.

Yeah I would double sparge. And I can squeeze a bit more water in. Theres a bunch of posts mentioning that rye gets sticky and Im afraid I wont be able to stir or nothing would drain out?

Yeah I would double sparge. And I can squeeze a bit more water in. Theres a bunch of posts mentioning that rye gets sticky and Im afraid I wont be able to stir or nothing would drain out?

Probably don't need to worry about nothing draining with BIAB. Just pick up the bag and squeeze.

Typically with Brew in a Bag, you would start with full volume or nearly that so your mash would be thin. You don't have to worry much about sparging. I've done 3 batches, twice without sparge but squeezing the bag and one with sparging and squeezing and I got nearly the same efficiency either way. Since you have all the mash in the bag all you have to do is get most of the wort out at the end.

i routinely use 11-12 pounds of grain with 4 gallons of water in a 7.5 gal pot then sparge with 2 gallons, works good.

I did a 100% wheat beer BIAB.. it was a full volume mash and it was still sticky.. but it was worth it..Mmmmmmmmmmmmm
wheaties1.jpg

Back