3lbs DME for $5.99

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You must live in those eastern lands. I ordered Friday, FedEx says I'll get it Thursday.

Same here / same location area. Ordered Saturday and I expect FedEx to deliver on Thursday. I'm in no hurry as I still have a full 3lbs of DME.

Mine came today. If I understand the date code correctly it was packaged in April of 2018. There are no clumps, it looks good. They also sent a free shipping code for my next order.

I just checked the website and this deal is still available. I might just buy 5 more with the free shipping code.
This is a very good idea that I will copy.

Mine came today. If I understand the date code correctly it was packaged in April of 2018. There are no clumps, it looks good. They also sent a free shipping code for my next order.

I just checked the website and this deal is still available. I might just buy 5 more with the free shipping code.

The code is "SHIPIT"
This is a very good idea that I will copy.

They wouldn't let me use the free shipping code with the on sale dme.

I bought what I think I would use within a year. I'm considering buying another year's worth. How long does DME keep if it stays sealed in a dry spot? If it was packaged 4/2018 does that subtract from its shelf life?

I bought what I think I would use within a year. I'm considering buying another year's worth. How long does DME keep if it stays sealed in a dry spot? If it was packaged 4/2018 does that subtract from its shelf life?

DME is pretty shelf-hardy if kept cool & dry.

If you walk by and knock a bag onto the basement floor, and it bursts, while carrying furniture around, inebriated, it won't do itself, the floor, you or your relationship with anyone else in the house any favors.

If you walk by and knock a bag onto the basement floor, and it bursts, while carrying furniture around, inebriated, it won't do itself, the floor, you or your relationship with anyone else in the house any favors.

Did a literal lol.

HOW can I "Like" this more than once... like, say... 100 times?
Also did ROTFLOL ('cause I was working on the floor, but still!)
I think we can all relate to this!

Fresh ingredients make fresh beer better.
http://blog.brewingwithbriess.com/about/ said:
Storing Malt
[...]

DME (dry malt extract): Store in a cool, dry location. Unopened bags best if used within 24 months from date of manufacture. Product is hygroscopic. Storing opened bags is not recommended.

Personally, on those rare occasions when I've have DME that's 15 months old, I use it up within the month (the beer came out fine, thanks for asking ;)). So beyond about 18 months, I have no personal experiences to share.

...Personally, on those rare occasions when I've have DME that's 15 months old, I use it up within the month (the beer came out fine, thanks for asking ;)). So beyond about 18 months, I have no personal experiences to share.

Seeing that I will be using the DME for yeast starters only, I suspect the age of it may not be as critical. Maybe I'm missing something....

Seeing that I will be using the DME for yeast starters only, I suspect the age of it may not be as critical. Maybe I'm missing something....

Sorry, didn't know you were using it just for yeast starters.

There was discussion earlier in this topic where people were thinking of using it for "Hop Sampler" or "Hop Steep" batches.

The 'best within 24 months' recommendation may be more useful within that portion of this topic..

5 packs, Thanks for the heads up on this deal

Sorry, didn't know you were using it just for yeast starters.

There was discussion earlier in this topic where people were thinking of using it for "Hop Sampler" or "Hop Steep" batches.

The 'best within 24 months' recommendation may be more useful within that portion of this topic..

Ahh, that makes sense now. No apology is necessary as I wasn't offended.

Make the beer!!!! I bet you have a packet of something dry for a pinch!
Have you been peeking in my fridge??!?!

I notice some of these packs have a little air in them and the powder flows freely. Some of them seem for vacuum packed - it moves, but not easy. I'm guessing I should use the one's with air first? Not that any of them will last past December...

Have you been peeking in my fridge??!?!

I notice some of these packs have a little air in them and the powder flows freely. Some of them seem for vacuum packed - it moves, but not easy. I'm guessing I should use the one's with air first? Not that any of them will last past December...
Yes- your milk is expired. And watch your sodium intake!! Lol.

I have no idea about air vs. non air. I agree use the larger puffee up pouch first.

I made an extract only brew today with the subject of this thread. First non grain brew in over a year. I had forgotten how easy these are to make.

Boiled 1.5 gallons of water with adjustments on the stove with Hersbrucker at 30 and 15 minutes for 31 IBU. Then added 6 lbs of DME and boiled for a few minutes until all the clumps were gone. Cooled it in the sink and added to fermentor with 4 gallons of 38 degree water.

The only downside is I'm going to get all my kegs filled which means I might have to set up a keezer instead of using the spare fridge in the garage. There will be no way to hide a chest freezer from my wife. First world problems.

If a deal like this pops up again I'm buying a lot more. Thanks again for the heads up OpenSights!

This year I planted my first hop, horizon. Not popular, but kind of an impulse buy. I don’t expect a good harvest for a couple of years.

Anyhow, I bought a few oz’s of horizon to make a SMASH using this DME. I’m thinking of a gallon batch and experiment with horizon.

Plan is 1 pellet per minute once boiling, 1/4oz whirlpool and 1/4oz dry. 1oz total.

This year I planted my first hop, horizon. Not popular, but kind of an impulse buy. I don’t expect a good harvest for a couple of years.

Anyhow, I bought a few oz’s of horizon to make a SMASH using this DME. I’m thinking of a gallon batch and experiment with horizon.

Plan is 1 pellet per minute once boiling, 1/4oz whirlpool and 1/4oz dry. 1oz total.

That works, but I've been finding that 1 pound of DME and 1 gallon of extract brought up to boiling temps, then killing the heat and adding an oz of hops, chilling, fermenting and then bottling makes an AWESOME beer. Delicious and less labor intensive :)

That works, but I've been finding that 1 pound of DME and 1 gallon of extract brought up to boiling temps, then killing the heat and adding an oz of hops, chilling, fermenting and then bottling makes an AWESOME beer. Delicious and less labor intensive :)

I was thinking of starting at 1.5 gallons and 1lb 4oz DME. Not quite sure how 1.5gallons will act in my Keggle. Maybe I should do 1.25 gallons.

I've never WP'd at boil temps, only at 180F - 160F. I went with the 15 minute boil because I'd never used that yeast before and wanted to taste the yeast. To get enough bitterness at whirlpool temps would take more hops and cover that taste. I've done IPA's, CDA's and Pale Ales with all whirlpool hops and really enjoyed them. It just wasn't what I was after this time.

Got it. I'm playing around with WP only, am cooling below 170-180 before starting. Did it once already w a simple session wheat beer base, mosaic citra galaxy and it was nice, after sitting cold a couple weeks.

Back