3944 Belgian Wit questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountainman13

Reaction score
I made 5 gal of AHS's wit on 3 January with a massive starter (fresh smack pack stepped up twice). I had an insane ferm for three days @ 60-65 degrees with a blowoff tube. I thought it was safe to put an airolck on it on day 4, only to have to clean it out two days in a row. Now, 2 weeks later, it is still bubbling every 5-6 seconds and it seems that the krausen hasn't fallen one bit. This is my first time with this strain and was just wondering if this was the norm.

Edit- I'll also add that I have stepped it up to 75 degrees for the last week to try to speed it up, to no avail. And before someone asks, I haven't checked the gravity (I know, I know)

That yeast can hold onto the krausen for a long time. Every time I use it I pretty much get the same results as you are explaining. You can gently swirl the fermenter and it will eventually drop.

I've used 3944 one time, and the krausen stuck around for about 3 weeks. I guess it's just a somewhat slow working yeast, but if you give it time the results are fantastic.

Back